Johnny Dankworth

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Johnny Dankworth

Postby George Geddes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Sir John Dankworth, a mainstay of the British jazz scene for over 60 years, has died. Saxophonist Sir John, 82, served as musical director to the likes of Nat King Cole and Ella Fitzgerald. Sir John, known as Johnny, died in a London hospital on Saturday. He had been ill for several months. His wife, the singer Dame Cleo Laine, announced his death at a concert at their Buckinghamshire theatre, where she was performing with their children. The concert on Saturday was celebrating 40 years of the theatre, which the couple founded in the grounds of their home in Wavendon. [from BBC website]

I remember one of my first 45s was 'African waltz' b/w Moanin'

RIP

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: Johnny Dankworth

Postby Mikey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Sad news. a great musician who has always been around and you just assume that he always will be. Our thoughts go to Cleo and his family.
Mikey

Postby Bill Bowley » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Johnny Dankworth was a name I came to know when I started playing guitar with 'big band' muso's in the early '70's, he was to them 'one of the legends' and as time progressed I too became one of his many 'fans'.

He is sadly missed. :cry:
Bill Bowley

Postby Paul Creasey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Sadly, another of the Musical World's "Greats" passes.
R.I.P., Johnny - and thanks to you and Cleo for some inspiring music over the years.
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Very sad to hear the news about John Dankworth this morning. Like others here, I loved African Waltz, but he and Cleo Laine did so much else. We are losing too many heroes.
Tim
Tim

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 am

One of the great musical influences of my youth. RIP JD.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby RalphG » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Sad news indeed of another music great. "African Waltz" was an early personal favourite.
RalphG

Postby kipper » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:48 pm

sad to hear this news. afican waltz is also one of the first records i brought. great man r.i.p. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby flingelbunt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:55 pm

Sad to hear of the death of this incredible musician. I've had the pleasure of seeing him live with Cleo Laine on 2 or 3 occasions, the last time at the Lincoln Theatre, and he was simply a musical genius. He became one of the most respected British jazz musicians in the States, in itself a tremendous accolade given the huge number of jazz legends from that country.
My sincere condolences go out to Cleo and their family.

Maurice
flingelbunt

Postby gogarrio » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:09 am

Count my blessings I got to see the man once, September 3, 2008 in San Francisco. Amazing set. Amazing to think he scored two of my all-time fave movies: "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" and "Darling". And the them to the Honor Blackman "Avengers".
gogarrio

Next

Return to The Shadows