Los Straitjackets

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Los Straitjackets

Postby Phrygian » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Curious if people here are aware of Los Straitjackets. The Shadows are one of their influences. Many of their songs are in the spirit of Shadows tunes such as FBI, Man Of Mystery, The Frightened City, etc. They feature choreography in their shows and have a great sense of humor. Here is an example of one of their songs that I would say has a strong Shadows influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaFqvfgLRQ
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Re: Los Straitjackets

Postby JimN » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:14 pm

Yes - I've seen Los Straitjackets live several times - twice at the legendary Deke Dickerson's Guitar Geeks' Festivals in Los Angeles, once in Dallas and again at Kent University in Canterbury a couple of years ago.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby George Geddes » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Seen them twice in Glasgow, once in a smallish venue and more recently (with Nick Lowe) at Glasgow Royal Concert Hall.

Great band!

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby bgohara » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:59 pm

I saw them providing backing to Garry W Tallent from the E-Street Band on his solo tour in Belfast around 3 or 4 years ago.

I spoke to Eddie Angel afterwards and he told me that he loved The Shadows and would love to meet Hank - I told him that ever he was in Perth, it might be possible!

Also Garry Tallent told me that he had met Hank Marvin when he had last played in Perth with Bruce and the E-Street Band a year or so previously! Steve Van Zandt had invited Hank (and I believe his family) to the show, and had taken him to meet Bruce - who was aware of the Shads - having played Shads and Ventures instros in the early days!
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:43 am

bgohara wrote:I saw them providing backing to Garry W Tallent from the E-Street Band on his solo tour in Belfast around 3 or 4 years ago.

I spoke to Eddie Angel afterwards and he told me that he loved The Shadows and would love to meet Hank - I told him that ever he was in Perth, it might be possible!

Also Garry Tallent told me that he had met Hank Marvin when he had last played in Perth with Bruce and the E-Street Band a year or so previously! Steve Van Zandt had invited Hank (and I believe his family) to the show, and had taken him to meet Bruce - who was aware of the Shads - having played Shads and Ventures instros in the early days!

Great to read about all these various relations between people and events coming together. The Shadows of course also recorded one of Bruce Springsteen's greatest hits: "Dancing In The Dark".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to The Shadows