Atlantis guitar

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Atlantis guitar

Postby MikeAB » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:30 pm

As a non expert I always read with great interest the debates on 'which guitar used' which still rage e.g. in the reprinted Burns booklet.

Is it possible 'everyone' is right' about Atlantis I wonder. Could Hank remember a Strat because one was used on the the 'overdubbing and damped sections' - but the main melody was a Burns as many think? The stereo split could certainly support that idea.

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Re: Atlantis guitar

Postby phil kelly » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:54 pm

Its the strat on all of it, no burns
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby fenderplucker » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:34 pm

I agree with Phil, Strat all the way.

Why? Well, firstly, Atlantis was recorded in December 1962, about a year before Hank started using the Burns (conspiracy theories about earlier prototypes are not supported by documented conversations with either Hank or Jim Burns) and, secondly, the Strat nails the Atlantis tone so why look further?

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby bgohara » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:16 pm

love it - thanks Paul and Phil. I agree.
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby iefje » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:28 pm

The Shadows also played "Atlantis" live for the "Show Of The Week" TV show, broadcast on April the 5th, 1966. This rendition was played on Burns guitars and has that distinctive Burns tone which very much differs from that of the Fender Stratocaster.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby dave robinson » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:24 pm

It's a Fender Stratocaster with a lot of compression. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby davidherbert54 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:22 pm

I believe that the version of "Atlantis" as performed on the BBC 2 "Show of the Week" is in fact played on acoustic guitars. That's what my very good copy sounds like to me. Having not seen this show since it was transmitted on the 5/4/1966 my visual image it somewhat foggy.
davidherbert54

Full Real Name: dave herbert

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:58 pm

dave robinson wrote:It's a Fender Stratocaster with a lot of compression. ;)

Agree, the compression explains why you can hear a bit of mains hum at the very beginning before the playing starts.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby JimN » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:40 pm

fenderplucker wrote:I agree with Phil, Strat all the way.

Why? Well, firstly, Atlantis was recorded in December 1962, about a year before Hank started using the Burns (conspiracy theories about earlier prototypes are not supported by documented conversations with either Hank or Jim Burns) and, secondly, the Strat nails the Atlantis tone so why look further?

Paul.

Geronimo and Atlantis were recorded on 13th November 1962.

I don't know what you mean about "conspiracy theories", but The Shadows were testing Burns prototypes as early as the second half of 1962 (though the instruments weren't seen in public until spring 1964, which is an entirely different thing).

The group's intention to have a change from Fenders was actually announced as early as the first week of May 1962, in the Associated-Rediffusion TV programme "Dan Farson Meets The Shadows" (which I think included Jet, so must have been recorded at least some weeks earlier than that).

Licorice Locking himself stated on several occasions that some tunes recorded in late 1962 (including both Atlantis and Geronimo) were played on a Burns guitar.

What's the difficulty with any of that?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:26 pm

JimN wrote:
The group's intention to have a change from Fenders was actually announced as early as the first week of May 1962, in the Associated-Rediffusion TV programme "Dan Farson Meets The Shadows" (which I think included Jet, so must have been recorded at least some weeks earlier than that).

From the TV Pop Diaries site...

Dan Farson.png
(46.37 KiB) Downloaded 2390 times

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Next

Return to The Shadows