Hank with a Gibson?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank with a Gibson?

Postby drakula63 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:05 am

JimN wrote:
George Geddes wrote:The inside sleeve of the CD shows Hank playing a sunburst Les Paul. He is often quoted as saying he tried one but couldn't really make anything of it - it didn't seem as intuitive as the Strat.

George

Thanks, George.

Obviously, there must be be more imagery on the CD sleeve than the four pages shown at: https://www.discogs.com/release/19526011-Hank-Marvin-Dance-With-The-Guitar-Man

There's no Les Paul Deluxe shown there.

But Norman seemed to recognise the inner "page" with the J-45 as the one he meant.

PS: Please disregard our conversation of Sunday afternoon. I have a copy of the CD on its way! ;)

There is no booklet with the CD and the gatefold just contains text. Here's my CD. Either side of the Inner sleeve features the two guitar pics as mentioned.
Attachments
IMG_2347_opt.jpg
(60.88 KiB) Downloaded 1852 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby eventrygve » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:10 am

Hank Marvin was one of many guitarists when Paul McCartney recorded Rockhestra (?). As I remember, he played a Les Paul at that recording?
eventrygve

Full Real Name: Even Trygve Hansen

Postby iefje » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:04 pm

On this picture, Hank can be seen with Dave Gilmour and Pete Townshend among others. His black Strat stands in front of him on a stand.
https://www.nova.ie/paul-mccartney-assembled-rockestra-40-years-ago-today-117783/
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby bgohara » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:17 pm

I think he's holding a Giffen in that pic from Rockestra - not a Les Paul
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Moderne » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:02 pm

Yes, it was handmade for him by Roger Giffin. You can hear it on Lifeline from Hank's Words and Music LP. Not sure if he used it on anything else Shads/Hank-solo-related...?
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:33 pm

Moderne wrote:Yes, it was handmade for him by Roger Giffin. You can hear it on Lifeline from Hank's Words and Music LP. Not sure if he used it on anything else Shads/Hank-solo-related...?

I remember reading in the Dutch Cliff and The Shadows music paper "News Flash!" from the Spring of 1977, that Hank used that guitar on some of the seven tracks recorded that year for the "Tasty" album.
iefje

Postby JimN » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:32 am

iefje wrote:
Moderne wrote:Yes, it was handmade for him by Roger Giffin. You can hear it on Lifeline from Hank's Words and Music LP. Not sure if he used it on anything else Shads/Hank-solo-related...?

I remember reading in the Dutch Cliff and The Shadows music paper "News Flash!" from the Spring of 1977, that Hank used that guitar on some of the seven tracks recorded that year for the "Tasty" album.

That's possible.

As stated above by Moderne, Hank also stated in a 1982 interview with a UK magazine (probably "Beat Instrumental or "International Musician") that he had used the Giffen guitar on the track Lifeline from that year's LP, "Words And Music". He said it gave him a more liquid sound.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 am

I'm surprised that no one has commented on the two pictures (OK, the same pic posted twice) I've posted showing Hank playing a Gibson... given the title of this thread. It's going off on tangents now, talking about completely different guitars that are not Gibsons. Perhaps Norman could let us know which guitar he saw on the inlay of the CD and thought might be a Gibson? I've posted showing one side of the inlay, the other side is viewable on the linked to discogs page. Teflon posted the same pic.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:46 am

drakula63 wrote:I'm surprised that no one has commented on the two pictures (OK, the same pic posted twice) I've posted showing Hank playing a Gibson... given the title of this thread. It's going off on tangents now, talking about completely different guitars that are not Gibsons. Perhaps Norman could let us know which guitar he saw on the inlay of the CD and thought might be a Gibson? I've posted showing one side of the inlay, the other side is viewable on the linked to discogs page. Teflon posted the same pic.

Okay, back on topic! ;) I have a picture in Dynamite International issue 173 from August/September 1997 of Marvin, Welch & Farrar, taken on March 23rd, 1972, when they promoted "Marmaduke" on Dutch television. On this picture, Bruce can be seen with an acoustic guitar (the experts on this forum can probably tell which brand) and Hank with the Gibson Les Paul. On the picture, Hank wears the same vest and shirt as on the colour picture of the inner sleeve of the "Dance With The Guitar Man" CD.
iefje

Postby iefje » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:47 am

JimN wrote:
iefje wrote:

That's possible.

As stated above by Moderne, Hank also stated in a 1982 interview with a UK magazine (probably "Beat Instrumental or "International Musician") that he had used the Giffen guitar on the track Lifeline from that year's LP, "Words And Music". He said it gave him a more liquid sound.

That's very interesting Jim. I didn't know that. I like these little facts. :)
iefje

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows