Origins of The Drifters / Shadows

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Origins of The Drifters / Shadows

Postby Teflon » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:07 pm

I've always been fascinated by the very early years of The Drfters/Shadows, and a while ago I found an interesting web site that gives some detailed info on the line up of the early incarnations of the band: https://infogalactic.com/info/Cliff_Ric ... 29_-_1950s

Up 'till now, I've taken the info at face value, but today I was given a link to KCPMusic (http://kcpmusic.co.uk/, a web site run by Ken Pavey himself. I found the site interesting for 2 reasons:

Firstly; Ken Pavey is much older than I thought - I'd always assumed he was another school friend of Cliffs, or at least of that age group;

Secondly; according to Ken himself, he joined The Drifters during their tenure at Butlins, and left prior to the 1958 tour as they wouldn't allow his new fiance to accompany them. In this case, he couldn't have been with the band on some of the dates referred to in my first link.

Presumably, it was his departure before the tour that led to Johnny Foster seeking out a new guitarist - I'd always assumed that Hank was bought in to replace Norman Mitham, and often wondered where Ken fitted into the picture. Presumably then, Ken joined after Move It was recorded, played with them at Butlins, did a couple of Oh Boy! TV shows, then left. Just think, if his soon to be wife had been allowed on the tour, he could have ended up as lead guitarist with The Shadows. How different things would have been. I doubt that they would have been as successful with an older lead guitarist.

Any thoughts from the resident experts here? Is my summary of the timeline right?

Cheers,

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Re: Origins of The Drifters / Shadows

Postby martcaster » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:12 am

Hello, Cliff. As I've said previously, elsewhere.....Supposing (if the stories we've heard so often are true....and why wouldn't they be?) but supposing Tony Sheridan HAD been in the 2Is that day. Would the bespectled Geordie have had the chance to demonstrate his chops, and persuade Mr. Foster to take his mate as part of the package? And would T. Sheridan have become a fixture with Cliff instead of going to Hamburg and ultimately recording 'My Bonnie' with those Liverpool lads; leading to the fabled request in NEMS music store, prompting the owner to visit The Cavern and check these lads out?? More speculation, I know. But, it makes you drink!
Sorry! THINK!
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:26 am

According to The Dreamer: An Autobiography by Cliff Richard, Hank (in the absence of Tony Sheridan) was auditioned by John Foster at the 2i's to replace Ken Pavey who had decided for unspecified reasons not to go on the Kalin Twins tour. The two week stint at Butlins, where Ken Pavey joined the Drifters, was between the recording and release of Move It.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FgX ... ar&f=false

It is stated that Norman Mitham was present at the CR's recording audition for Norrie Paramor (arranged through agent George Ganjou), but seemed to slip out of the picture at some point thereafter. Following the arrival of Ian Samwell, the implication is that it was he who suggested that Mitham was no longer needed in the group!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Didier » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 am

Accordind to what I have always read at the time of "Move it" recording, the Drifters were only Ian Samwell on guitar and Terry Smart on drums, which wasn't enough, so Norrie Paramor hired two session players Ernie Shear on lead guitar and Frank Clarke on double bass to complement the band. Norman Mitham had already left.
Later when Cliff Richard was booked for the Kalin Twins tour, only Ian Samwell and Terry Smart were available, so Cliff asked John Foster to go at the 2I's to look for Tony Sheridan. But Tony wasn't there, and after hearing Hank Marvin, John proposed him the job. Hank sait it would be OK if Bruce Welch was also hired, which was accepted. Hank and Bruce then went to Cliff's home for an audition, which was successful, both were hired for the tour. Ian Samwell was then asked to play the bass. After the tour, Cliff who tought that Ian Samwel wasn't a good enough guitarist asked him to leave and focus on song writing, so he could replace him by Jet Harris. A little later, Terry Smart who tought there was no future in pop music left for a career in the merchant navy. He was then replaced by Tony Meehan in january 1959.
This Drifters lineup (soon renamed The Shadows) with Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Jet Harris, Tony Meehan lasted until october 1961 when Tony Meehan left.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Return to The Shadows