Justin Daish: 'Journey Through the Decades'/'The Golden Era'

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Postby MeBHank » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:36 pm

Frequently, when touring Shadowing Hank, I've been asked by multiple people (audience members, agents, bookers, venue staff, other performers) whether I play other music as well as that of Hank and The Shads. So, towards the end of some of my recent theatre shows, I've taken the opportunity to ask audiences if the interest is there for me to return in my own right with a 'non-Shadows' show. The response has been overwhelmingly positive. Therefore I am very pleased to announce that I am launching a new show consisting of a wide variety of different material:

'Journey Through the Decades'

The selection of music is an eclectic mix, including rock 'n' roll, sixties classics, some of the all-time great supergroups, and even a touch of the gypsy jazz which Hank has been playing for so long.

Some audiences, though, would prefer to simply relive the innocent years of the 1950s and early '60s. So I have another show with another theme:

'The Golden Era'

This show features early pop music of that period as well as the iconic rock 'n' roll which kicked off the social revolution.

Both 'Journey' and 'Golden Era' shows will naturally be presented with the same advanced standard of lighting production that audiences of Shadowing Hank have become familiar with over the last four years.

The current shows on sale are as follows:

Friday 5th April 2024
Station Theatre, Hayling Island
'JOURNEY THROUGH THE DECADES'
Click here for tickets: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/stationtheatre/justin-daish-a-journey-through-the-decades/e-ldeorr

As I do with my other thread when new Shadowing Hank dates are released or I have updates to announce, I'll likewise be altering/adding to this thread when further performances of these shows are put on sale, or if I need to share information regarding them.

All the best, everyone, and I hope to see you soon!
Last edited by MeBHank on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Re: New touring show: Journey Through the Decades

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:48 pm

Well done, Justin. The Shadows is a massive niche interest, but not a broad one. Adding other musical greats to your range will appeal to a wider potential audience and should get you more bookings.

I was over 15 years in a vintage rock’n’roll band. We were all Shads fans and did a few of their hits every gig, plus some of those they had with Cliff. But we also did Elvis, Jerry Lee, Little R, Bill H, Everlys, Buddy, Eddie, Gene and so on. The Shads stuff went down well with the more general audience because we did all the other stuff too. Go for it!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby MeBHank » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:08 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:Well done, Justin. The Shadows is a massive niche interest, but not a broad one. Adding other musical greats to your range will appeal to a wider potential audience and should get you more bookings.

I was over 15 years in a vintage rock’n’roll band. We were all Shads fans and did a few of their hits every gig, plus some of those they had with Cliff. But we also did Elvis, Jerry Lee, Little R, Bill H, Everlys, Buddy, Eddie, Gene and so on. The Shads stuff went down well with the more general audience because we did all the other stuff too. Go for it!

Iain

Thanks, Iain! As you say, it's going to be a great way to widen my audience base.

I have been playing a wider range of material for many years now and since launching Shadowing Hank I've tried to keep the two acts distinctly separate. Now I've had the chance to sequence the lighting for the non-Shads music (the lighting for the Pink Floyd stuff looks stunning if I can say so myself!) it means I can return to venues more quickly; let's say a theatre wants me to leave 18 months before returning with Shadowing Hank... it's likely they're willing for me to halve that time if I come back with this different show! Double the bookings!
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby iefje » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:32 am

MeBHank wrote:
Iain Purdon wrote:Well done, Justin. The Shadows is a massive niche interest, but not a broad one. Adding other musical greats to your range will appeal to a wider potential audience and should get you more bookings.

Iain

Thanks, Iain! As you say, it's going to be a great way to widen my audience base.

I have been playing a wider range of material for many years now and since launching Shadowing Hank I've tried to keep the two acts distinctly separate. Now I've had the chance to sequence the lighting for the non-Shads music (the lighting for the Pink Floyd stuff looks stunning if I can say so myself!) it means I can return to venues more quickly; let's say a theatre wants me to leave 18 months before returning with Shadowing Hank... it's likely they're willing for me to halve that time if I come back with this different show! Double the bookings!

Will this show be you on stage playing to backing tracks or performing with a complete band?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby MeBHank » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:41 pm

iefje wrote:Will this show be you on stage playing to backing tracks or performing with a complete band?

I play to backing tracks, Ivo. A few years ago, after changes in my personal life, organising a band became too much of a task.

I was never happy with the production quality provided by in-house lighting technicians. I've always wanted the sharp presentation of programmed lighting as I witnessed when seeing The Shadows and Hank live, so I assembled a lighting rig which I spend a lot of time sequencing, and it's definitely worth it; I was recently told by a high profile venue: 'your show is the best production value we've ever had for a solo act!' Aside from other reasons for staying solo, playing in a band would take away my ability to present such a sharp lighting production (doing it all would be far too much work!), and I've now established a standard and reputation which I'm reluctant to stray from.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby artyman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:36 am

Booked for Totton so looking forward to seeing you again.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby MeBHank » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:47 pm

Les than three weeks to go till the debut show at Totton! I'm itching to get this show on the road! The lighting is looking wonderful!

Get your tickets: https://bit.ly/3D8w4tG

See you there!
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby MeBHank » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:49 pm

An update regarding shows in my own name (away from the mantle of the Hank tribute):

The announced first performance of my 'Journey Through the Decades' show at Totton's Hanger Farm Arts Centre in August 2022 was a great success. The feedback received from that audience on the South Coast was that they preferred the selection of music from the 1950s and '60s, and could have done without the later, more powerful material such as the Pink Floyd and Dire Straits.

So I can announce that I have developed another show with a different theme:

'The Golden Era'

This show features material solely from the 1950s and early '60s. The title was taken directly from Licorice: he occasionally used that phrase onstage when he was talking about that innocent but exciting period. You can expect to hear music from Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, the Everly Brothers, the early period of the Beatles, Jet Harris and Tony Meehan, Marty Wilde... and many more. This is, of course, presented with my now-famous lighting rig which makes my concerts the most sophisticated and complete productions of any solo artiste in the world on this scale!

Because the majority in the crowds for my own show will likely be returning having seen Shadowing Hank, I will decide with the venue whether 'Journey' or 'Golden Era' will suit best; every audience is different - I am always heartened to regularly see fairly young faces in my theatres for Shadowing Hank shows!

Performances of both shows are in my 2024 diary and, as with Shadowing Hank, dates will be announced here after the tickets go on sale. This thread will be updated.

So, moving on to the first show: I've been so wrapped up with the distractions of life and the planning for next year's Shadowing Hank tour that I've completely forgotten to share the information about an upcoming date. It's happening very soon:

Thursday 30th November 2023
Hanger Farm Arts Centre, Totton, Southampton
'THE GOLDEN ERA'
Ticket reservations: 023 8066 7683
Click here for tickets: https://hangerfarm.ticketsolve.com/ticketbooth/shows/1173645998

I look forward to seeing some familiar faces!
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Re: Justin Daish: 'Journey Through the Decades'/'The Golden

Postby MeBHank » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

Hello all, a quick announcement to inform you of my next theatre show:

At the venue's request this will be the 'Journey Through the Decades' show, and so will include classics from the 1950s and '60s through to the power of Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, and more.

Friday 5th April 2024
Station Theatre, Hayling Island
'JOURNEY THROUGH THE DECADES'
Click here for tickets: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/stationtheatre/justin-daish-a-journey-through-the-decades/e-ldeorr

We had such a great time last year at this great little theatre so I can't wait to return! See you there?!...
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Re: Justin Daish: 'Journey Through the Decades'/'The Golden

Postby abstamaria » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:52 pm

How long are your shows, Justin?

Post a video on your Facebook page, even a short one, from one of your new shows. I am intrigued by what you did with your lighting. As I live so far away, it is unlikely, unfortunately, I will ever see your shows.

Break a leg.

Andy is
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Next

Return to The Shadows