NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows On TV

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows On TV

Postby Fenderman » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:20 pm

I have a very vague memory of The Shadows on a show hosted by (i think) Michael Barrymore in the late 80's. I think they performed When the going gets tough (or whatever it's called) but i can't recall if it was mimed or live.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby MikeAB » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:55 pm

I can recall them miming to Thing-Me-Jig on a Barrymore show (I think). Possible one other number?
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby StuartD » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:14 pm

iefje wrote:
JimN wrote:
iefje wrote:and also the tracks "Cool Water" and "Chicago" (I think the correct title for this track is different, does anyone know what it is?)

I'm not totally clear which of those you mean, Ivo, but Fred Fisher's 1922 composition is correctly titled (in full): Chicago (That Toddlin' Town). See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_(That_Toddlin%27_Town)

The title Cool Water for Bob Nolan's 1936 composition is fully correct. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Water_(song)

According to the Cliff Richard Song Database website, the song's title is "My Kind Of Town". I found the information here: http://www.cliffrichardsongs.com/crseries/. This could be wrong of course. ;)

Hi

That's a different song. Jim is correct. I remember them doing it on TV

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:41 pm

My Kind Of Town (Chicago Is) is a different song from Chicago (That Toddlin' Town), though both have well-known versions by Frank Sinatra.

My Kind Of Town (Chicago Is):

Chicago (That Toddlin' Town):
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:43 pm

Fenderman wrote:I have a very vague memory of The Shadows on a show hosted by (i think) Michael Barrymore in the late 80's. I think they performed When the going gets tough (or whatever it's called) but i can't recall if it was mimed or live.

Definitely mimed!
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:51 pm

Since we are talking about the Shadows on TV...

John Friesen (and his parents) insisted that they had a video of The Shadows and Cliff performing LOVE DELUXE on a TV show, possibly German. I queried this with him and John always insisted that it was Love DeLuxe and not Run Billy Run as I suggested. I last spoke to John on the phone about ten years ago and now, sadly, won't have the chance again. He told me that he hoped to have a dig around and find the tape one day. Sadly, as I say, this will now obviously not be possible. It is intriguing.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:22 pm

Thank you Jim and Stuart for clarifying the Chicago query. I learn every day. ;)
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:24 pm

Fenderman wrote:I have a very vague memory of The Shadows on a show hosted by (i think) Michael Barrymore in the late 80's. I think they performed When the going gets tough (or whatever it's called) but i can't recall if it was mimed or live.

It was indeed mimed, but the recording used for this performance was a shorter version, edited from the full album version. It even had an arranged ending.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby UlrichS » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:49 pm

drakula63 wrote:Since we are talking about the Shadows on TV...

John Friesen (and his parents) insisted that they had a video of The Shadows and Cliff performing LOVE DELUXE on a TV show, possibly German. I queried this with him and John always insisted that it was Love DeLuxe and not Run Billy Run as I suggested. I last spoke to John on the phone about ten years ago and now, sadly, won't have the chance again. He told me that he hoped to have a dig around and find the tape one day. Sadly, as I say, this will now obviously not be possible. It is intriguing.

Definitely not from a German TV show.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Fenderman » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:58 am

I wonder if the Marvin, Welch & Farrer recordings will ever see the light of day. Was the performances on the Cliff show live or pre-recorded, plus there's some BBC Radio sessions that could be released.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows