NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows On TV

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows On TV

Postby iefje » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:28 am

Fenderman wrote:I wonder if the Marvin, Welch & Farrer recordings will ever see the light of day. Was the performances on the Cliff show live or pre-recorded, plus there's some BBC Radio sessions that could be released.

I think the backing of all the Marvin, Welch & Farrar performances on Cliff's TV show was pre-recorded and are possibly the backing tracks of the original studio recordings. The vocal performances could be pre-recorded too, I'm not entirely sure, but they do differ from the vocals on the original studio recordings. Their BBC Radio recordings (nine tracks in total) are certainly overall different recordings (apart from "Marmaduke", which is just the original single version in mono with Brian Matthew's announcement) and six of them are more than fifty years old now, so out of copyright.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby bgohara » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:51 am

JimN wrote:
Fenderman wrote:I have a very vague memory of The Shadows on a show hosted by (i think) Michael Barrymore in the late 80's. I think they performed When the going gets tough (or whatever it's called) but i can't recall if it was mimed or live.

Definitely mimed!

Yes, mimed, but was shorter than the album version, with a discrete ending

SORRY IVO - HAD NOT SEEN YOUR RESPONSE WHICH BASICALLY SAID THE SAME THING
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby bgohara » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:53 am

The appearance with Tarby on Live from Her Majesty's (or was it the Palladium) from 1987 featuring Pulaski and Apache / FBI was mimed - but was specially recorded for that show
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby drakula63 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:04 am

UlrichS wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Since we are talking about the Shadows on TV...

John Friesen (and his parents) insisted that they had a video of The Shadows and Cliff performing LOVE DELUXE on a TV show, possibly German. I queried this with him and John always insisted that it was Love DeLuxe and not Run Billy Run as I suggested. I last spoke to John on the phone about ten years ago and now, sadly, won't have the chance again. He told me that he hoped to have a dig around and find the tape one day. Sadly, as I say, this will now obviously not be possible. It is intriguing.

Definitely not from a German TV show.

Ulrich

I might have imagined that bit! I visited John Friesen's parents in 1985 and it was there and then that they told me about the video footage they had (I think on U-matic tape) of the Shads and Cliff performing Love De Luxe. They said they'd have to dig the machine and tape out and that maybe next time I visited I'd be able to see it. I gather it was all a bit inaccessible at that moment. I mentioned this to John Friesen a couple of times and he confirmed that it was true - it was Love De Luxe and not Run Billy Run as I suggested. Sadly, I never got to visit his parents again and therefore never had the chance to see this recording. After almost 40 years I can't remember more about it than that. I will have to guess that the tape and maybe the machine too came from a 'professional' source as few people outside of the industry used U-matic tapes (hospitals sometimes). It's all a real mystery. One that may never be solved.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby andykombi » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:38 pm

Im a bit miffed why atlantis isnt on the vol 1 of the shadows on tv
Ive have seen and heard it many times .. glad to see dance on and footapper on it
Kind regards andy
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby davidherbert54 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:11 pm

Andy, can you please recall what tv prog. you saw the Shadows play Atlantis in 1963-65, because I dont recall any. Thanks.
davidherbert54

Full Real Name: dave herbert

Postby iefje » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:54 pm

"Atlantis" was played live on the TV show "Show Of The Week", broadcasted on April 5th, 1966. Maybe it will appear on a third volume.
iefje

Postby flingal64 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:07 pm

Talking about Cool Water, there used to be on you tube where Hank and Bruce singing this song, and with some funny introducing, but I cannot find it anymore. Anybody knows where I can find it?
flingal64

Full Real Name: Gerhardt Folgerø

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:42 pm

flingal64 wrote:Talking about Cool Water, there used to be on you tube where Hank and Bruce singing this song, and with some funny introducing, but I cannot find it anymore. Anybody knows where I can find it?

Pass.

But that was a guest spot on a Des O'Connor show (ITV, I think), circa late 1967. Only Hank and Bruce appeared and Des introduced them by saying he'd asked the producer if he could have The Shadows as guests and had been told the budget only allowed for two of them.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:17 pm

"Cool Water", performed by Hank and Bruce was certainly featured on the TV special "Afer Ten, Fellas...Ten!", aired on June 11th, 1968. I didn't know they also performed it in 1967 at Des O'Connor's show.
iefje

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows