NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows On TV

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows On TV

Postby Fenderman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:38 pm

I have a clip of Mary Ann from i think 'After Ten Fellas Ten! Ten!' but is just the single version mimed. At least i think it's from that show.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby George Geddes » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:43 am

Just a footnote to Jim's comment on 'Cool water'. I can't recall the show, but I think that spot was given to half an established act e.g Morecambe without Wise. Hence two Shadows not 4. No real idea who else appeared.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Moderne » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:00 am

Fenderman wrote:I have a clip of Mary Ann from i think 'After Ten Fellas Ten! Ten!' but is just the single version mimed. At least i think it's from that show.

This is the only film of them singing Mary Anne that I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhqOPOJst48

I think it's from one of the Australian tours - 1967? Not After Ten Fellas, Ten.

This used to be one of the clips on Bruce's "Shads on the Box" section of Shadowmania. I used to love that bit of the show - every year hoping that the video would keep playing and that I'd see some clips of The Shads that I'd never seen before. And then along came the internet and YouTube...and most of them got uploaded by someone and you could see them whenever you wanted. And then they started disappearing...copyright? Mary Anne's still there though.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 am

Almost certainly copyright. YouTube is a temporary home! Apart from copyright owners actively demanding that stuff is removed, there are YouTube’s own automatic algorithms. I posted some video last year including music I was licensed to use. The algorithm said no and blocked it. Six months later, YouTube informed me that the objection had been withdrawn. Fat lot of use that was.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:59 am

There will never be any CDs of The Shadows on TV in the 1970s / 1980s / 1990s. For one thing, the copyrights are in force and controlled ultra strictly. Secondly, these later era TV clips are available via numerous sources. As stated in a previous message, many of the 1960s programmes have sadly been destroyed, wiped or lost forever. A few others do exist, but will (for various reasons) never likely ever see the light of day. All of these performances are, to the best of knowledge available, live. Certainly all known mimed performances have not been included. Volumes 1 and 2 end at 1965. I think that it is safe to assume that there may well be further CDs in the series going up to 1968.

Before anyone else mentions it - something drastic occurred at the printing stage. For a totally unknown, totally inexplicable reason (as proof reading had been very thorough) - Sunday Night At The London Palladium became Saturday Night At The London Palladium!!!!!! Future collectors' item???? :lol:
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby iefje » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:09 am

Moderne wrote:
Fenderman wrote:I have a clip of Mary Ann from i think 'After Ten Fellas Ten! Ten!' but is just the single version mimed. At least i think it's from that show.

This is the only film of them singing Mary Anne that I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhqOPOJst48

I think it's from one of the Australian tours - 1967? Not After Ten Fellas, Ten.

This used to be one of the clips on Bruce's "Shads on the Box" section of Shadowmania. I used to love that bit of the show - every year hoping that the video would keep playing and that I'd see some clips of The Shads that I'd never seen before. And then along came the internet and YouTube...and most of them got uploaded by someone and you could see them whenever you wanted. And then they started disappearing...copyright? Mary Anne's still there though.

This clip of "Mary Anne" is from the Australian Bandstand show, recorded or broadcast on June the 6th, 1967. The 'setlist' (all mimed) of this show is:
1. The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt.
2. Mary Anne.
3. Bombay Duck.
4. Dance On.
5. Let It Be Me.
6. Jigsaw.
7. Wonderful Land.
8. In The Mood.
9. Chelsea Boot.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:17 am

Regarding clips from the 1970s, three by The Shadows and one by Marvin, Welch & Farrar have officially been released on DVD:
1. "Let Me Be The One": the 1975 promo clip, using the original single/album version, was released on the 2003 Dutch various artists DVD "Eurovision Song Festival Hits".
2. "Let Me Be The One": the actual live Eurovision Song Contest 1975 version, was released on the 2005 Danish various artists double DVD "Congratulations – 50 Years Of The Eurovision Song Contest – All The Winners +
Favourites – 1956-1980".
3. "Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)": the 1979 promo clip, using the original single/album version, was released on the 2002 Dutch various artists DVD "Greatest Hits - Original Hits & Video Clips". This DVD coincidentally also features the video clip "If I Had Words" by Scott Fitzgerald & Yvonne Keeley, featuring Alan Jones (with beard) in the background on bass guitar.
4. "Lady Of The Morning": the 1971 promo clip, using the original single/album version, was released on the 2008 Dutch various artists DVD "Top 40 - 1965-1974".
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:38 pm

Does their 1967 Split performance still exist? That could be included in a later CD as well as the Japan show from the same year.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby UlrichS » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:06 pm

Arpeggio wrote:There will never be any CDs of The Shadows on TV in the 1970s / 1980s / 1990s. For one thing, the copyrights are in force and controlled ultra strictly. Secondly, these later era TV clips are available via numerous sources. As stated in a previous message, many of the 1960s programmes have sadly been destroyed, wiped or lost forever. A few others do exist, but will (for various reasons) never likely ever see the light of day. All of these performances are, to the best of knowledge available, live. Certainly all known mimed performances have not been included. Volumes 1 and 2 end at 1965. I think that it is safe to assume that there may well be further CDs in the series going up to 1968.

My copy of "The Shadows On TV Vol. 1" included a small advert sheet listing already "Vol. 3 - 1966-1967" (DUSTYCD 13) and "Vol. 4 - 1967-1968" (DUSTYCD 14). The release is intended for May/June this year.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby iefje » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:26 pm

UlrichS wrote:My copy of "The Shadows On TV Vol. 1" included a small advert sheet listing already "Vol. 3 - 1966-1967" (DUSTYCD 13) and "Vol. 4 - 1967-1968" (DUSTYCD 14). The release is intended for May/June this year.

Ulrich

That's good news Ulrich, thank you! You already have your copy of volume 1? That's quick! What does it sound like?
iefje

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows