String of Hits 2

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: String of Hits 2

Postby howarddobson » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:46 am

Interesting that in Australia there was a Another 20 Golden Greats - so the use of Another… for a follow-up was already there

The Shadows– Black Is Black
2 The Shadows– Riders In The Sky
3 Hank Marvin– Sacha
4 The Shadows– Stardust
5 The Shadows– Nivram
6 The Shadows– Find Me A Golden Street
7 The Shadows– Brazil
8 The Shadows– The Lonely Bull
9 The Shadows– In The Mood
10 The Shadows– Deep Purple
11 The Shadows– The Stranger
12 The Shadows– Quatermaster's Stores
13 The Shadows– Bombay Duck
14 The Shadows– My Grandfather's Clock
15 The Shadows– Good Vibrations
16 The Shadows– God Only Knows
17 The Shadows– Pinball Wizard
18 The Shadows– San Francisco
19 The Shadows– Shadoogie
20 The Shadows– The Miracle
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Postby bgohara » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:00 am

Thanks Howard - interesting track listing!
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby iefje » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:32 am

howarddobson wrote:Interesting that in Australia there was a Another 20 Golden Greats - so the use of Another… for a follow-up was already there

The Shadows– Black Is Black
2 The Shadows– Riders In The Sky
3 Hank Marvin– Sacha
4 The Shadows– Stardust
5 The Shadows– Nivram
6 The Shadows– Find Me A Golden Street
7 The Shadows– Brazil
8 The Shadows– The Lonely Bull
9 The Shadows– In The Mood
10 The Shadows– Deep Purple
11 The Shadows– The Stranger
12 The Shadows– Quatermaster's Stores
13 The Shadows– Bombay Duck
14 The Shadows– My Grandfather's Clock
15 The Shadows– Good Vibrations
16 The Shadows– God Only Knows
17 The Shadows– Pinball Wizard
18 The Shadows– San Francisco
19 The Shadows– Shadoogie
20 The Shadows– The Miracle

It was released ten years after "20 Golden Greats", in 1987 on LP and CD. Quite some tracks were issued on CD for the very first time. It was reissued on CD in 1996, but the nineteen stereo tracks ("Quatermasster's Stores" in mono being the exception) all had their channels reversed, so it offered nineteen accidental novelties for the collector. The sound quality on both the 1987 and 1996 issues was not as good as compared to releases of the tracks elsewhere.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:49 pm

Had I have been compiling Another String of Hot Hits, without the Shadows involvement, then I'd have made a few changes which I think might have helped it to sell a few more copies and maybe inch into the Top Ten.

I'd have added Riders in the Sky 7" single edit; Rusk; Sweet Saturday Night; Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Full length original edit); The Air That I Breathe and the 1979 partially re-recorded version of God Only Knows. So that, in addition to Black is Black, would have been four tracks that no-one had heard before; a hit single that hadn't been on an album before and two self-composed b-sides, one of which would surely have been unknown to most people. So a total of seven tracks that hadn't been on an album before. I'll call them Drake's 7. Some of you will get that.

Of course, those additions are partly made with the benefit of hindsight... but I would have expected those responsible at the time to know what was still lying on the shelf unreleased and available to use.

P.S. Why was the 1979 partial re-recording of God Only Knows in mono? I like it, but not sure it is an improvement on the Specs Appeal version.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:30 pm

drakula63 wrote:Had I have been compiling Another String of Hot Hits, without the Shadows involvement, then I'd have made a few changes which I think might have helped it to sell a few more copies and maybe inch into the Top Ten.

I'd have added Riders in the Sky 7" single edit; Rusk; Sweet Saturday Night; Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Full length original edit); The Air That I Breathe and the 1979 partially re-recorded version of God Only Knows. So that, in addition to Black is Black, would have been four tracks that no-one had heard before; a hit single that hadn't been on an album before and two self-composed b-sides, one of which would surely have been unknown to most people. So a total of seven tracks that hadn't been on an album before. I'll call them Drake's 7. Some of you will get that.

Of course, those additions are partly made with the benefit of hindsight... but I would have expected those responsible at the time to know what was still lying on the shelf unreleased and available to use.

P.S. Why was the 1979 partial re-recording of God Only Knows in mono? I like it, but not sure it is an improvement on the Specs Appeal version.

I agree with you Chris. The inclusion of those seven tracks would have made "Another String Of Hot Hits" a much more worthwhile album for record buyers. However, EMI Records just went for the cheapest way to compete with "Change Of Address", by just using one new track and thirteen previously released ones.
iefje

Postby iefje » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:49 am

The 1985 New Zealand compilation LP "More Rarities" featured some of those tracks: "Sweet Saturday Night", "Rusk" and "Black Is Black". The single version of "Riders In The Sky" was promised in Ian Kershaw's text on the back cover, but in the end the "String Of Hits" album version appeared.
iefje

Postby drakula63 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:33 am

OK... a bit OTT, but I just had the urge to complete the collection! Here, just arrived, are the two LP versions... EMI and MFP. As it's such a hot day, I thought it appropriate to take them out into the sunshine to photograph them!
Attachments
rsz_img_2555.jpg
rsz_img_2555.jpg (54.5 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
rsz_img_2559.jpg
rsz_img_2559.jpg (47.53 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:34 am

And here's the whole collection! As I say, it's an average compilation, could have been much better, but great cover art!
Attachments
rsz_img_2563.jpg
rsz_img_2563.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
drakula63

Previous

Return to The Shadows