Palladium show

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Palladium show

Postby davidherbert54 » Wed May 04, 2022 6:32 pm

The show was telly recorded and then transmitted on the Sunday 4th Dec 66. This maybe where the confusion comes from.
davidherbert54

Full Real Name: dave herbert

Postby iefje » Thu May 05, 2022 9:11 am

davidherbert54 wrote:The show was telly recorded and then transmitted on the Sunday 4th Dec 66. This maybe where the confusion comes from.

Which means that the actual recording date of the performance could still have been Tuesday November the 29th, 1966.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby bgohara » Thu May 05, 2022 11:01 am

davidherbert54 wrote:The show was telly recorded and then transmitted on the Sunday 4th Dec 66. This maybe where the confusion comes from.

I wonder if the show itself has survived..
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby JimN » Thu May 05, 2022 1:41 pm

It seems that both dates are correct.

Live performance and recording on Tuesday 29th November (my grandmother's birthday) and transmission on Sunday 4th December.

Although the programme could theoretically have been transmitted on any evening, the natural choice (by ABC and ATV) would be a Saturday or Sunday because they were the two days of the week when those two companies more or less had control of the ITV network (ATV in London, ABC the Midlands and the North) with no need to consult either Granada or Rediffusion (weekday contractors). The smaller regional companies had more or less no say in it.

In any case, the tradition of big variety shows on Sundays had been well-established with "Sunday Night At The London Palladium" and the Royal Variety Performance (whether shown by ITV or the BBC).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Thu May 05, 2022 3:28 pm

Arpeggio wrote:As ever, many thanks to Jim for giving all of the salient details. That particular track and much, much more will be on "The Shadows On TV - Vol.3". Yes folks, there will indeed be a Volume 3. Something to look forward to, eh?? :D

According to Ulrich, there will even be a fourth volume being released simultaneously with the third volume. Absolutely something to look forward to! :)
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Mark Daniels » Thu May 05, 2022 11:04 pm

Arpeggio wrote:As ever, many thanks to Jim for giving all of the salient details. That particular track and much, much more will be on "The Shadows On TV - Vol.3". Yes folks, there will indeed be a Volume 3. Something to look forward to, eh?? :D
Attachments
30042022 (3).jpg

Mark
Mark Daniels

Full Real Name: Mark Daniels

Postby dave robinson » Fri May 06, 2022 10:11 am

My two CD pack of The Shadows TV performances from the sixties was waiting my return from Cyprus on Thursday morning and I am midway through listening to them right now.
Many of them I clearly remember seeing when they were aired and I have to say that to people of our age, these CDs are a welcome distraction from the crap that is going on in the world around us right now. I know that some will say the quality isn't 100% but it wasn't when they were aired back then, I watched on an old 14" black and white TV that must have sounded awful by todays standards but to us it was fantastic. Whoever put this stuff together deserves a huge pat on the back for rekindling those memories from my very young days. This is where it began for me - thank you. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Arpeggio » Fri May 06, 2022 4:18 pm

Dave.....brilliant. You understand the philosophy perfectly. Indeed, the sound can never be 'Master Tape' quality. The best possible sources have been found and a LOT of work has gone into the modern day remastering. It genuinely is as good now as it ever likely to be. Many of the programmes that the performances were taken from no longer exist. The December, 1961 performances from the Palladium are very rare for example. Transported back in time? Definitely. I remember that show. A working class kid, I was 9 years old. I was already obsessed with the Shadows. I was allowed to stay up and watch SNATLP. I remember being so excited and so thrilled. I watched also on a 14" B/W TV...a Rediffusion Rentals model. I was lying flat out on my tummy, flannel pyjamas & barefoot, in front of our living room coal fire. Hearing those tracks for the first time in over 60 years, I was swept back in time, into that room with my late parents and my late sister. I was suddenly totally overwhelmed with emotion. To me, that is the power of these collections. It is just great to hear so many of these live performances once again and to marvel at just how great the Shadows were. :D
Arpeggio

Postby drakula63 » Fri May 06, 2022 6:24 pm

It is indeed all too easy to forget - in this age of hi-fidelity and surround sound, etc... - that in the 1960s most people only had mono record players and the televisions only had one speaker. Although I am still this side of 60, I remember, as a little boy, watching Doctor Who on a small black and white telly, in front of the open fire and eating toasted teacakes or crumpets, Saturday tea time after Grandstand. I can picture it now as clearly as if it was yesterday. Today it's in 4K digital widescreen, or whatever, but it's trash. We still had a mono record player in 1977 when I first bought 20 Golden Greats, so I first experienced the sound of the Shadows in mono. I doubt that anyone was ever able to hear those tunes sound as they did being played back to the lads in the control room of studio 2, Abbey Road... although today we take that kind of sound for granted. I wonder how many people, at the time, ever got the chance to hear these records/tunes at anything like their true potential? When I first heard music in stereo - towards the end of 1977 - it was a mind-blowing and almost surreal experience! It would never have occurred to me, prior to that, that music could ever sound any different or better!

I haven't got these two 'On TV' CDs yet, but I intend to get them for Christmas. Or maybe for my birthday, a month before. Hopefully, if vols 3 and 4 are out by then, I shall be getting those too.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby MikeAB » Fri May 06, 2022 8:35 pm

Many memories of some of the shows. The over riding one for me though is regarding the Shadows doing their own show.

My family were away on holiday and in those days TV did not come with flats and caravans, and of course video recorders were not even a Science Fiction dream. So at 15 I had to beg and nag my Mum and Dad to hire a TV for one day - and they did!
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows