Palladium show

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Palladium show

Postby MikeAB » Wed May 04, 2022 10:52 am

Thinking back after receiving the Shads on TV CD's was there a Palladium show where Bruce was ill and did not appear? Or did I dream that? Seem to remember being very nervous about it watching with my late Father.

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Re: Palladium show

Postby JimN » Wed May 04, 2022 11:45 am

MikeAB wrote:Thinking back after receiving the Shads on TV CD's was there a Palladium show where Bruce was ill and did not appear? Or did I dream that? Seem to remember being very nervous about it watching with my late Father.

Mike

November 29th, 1966, at the Palladium.

It wasn't a "Sunday Night At The London Palladium" programme as such. It was a (much longer) Royal Gala, performed in the presence of Prince Philip. The programme was a joint effort by ATV (the company behind the normal SNATLP) and ABC (with much weekend light entertainment experience). The opening showed Prince Philip arriving at the theatre and being greeted by the bosses of ATV and ABC.

When the turn of Cliff Richard and The Shadows came up, The Shadows played only one tune: The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt. Bruce was absent. John Rostill played Hank's Fender Bass VI, playing a hybrid bass and rhythm style and Hank also threw in a few passing chords. After the tune had been played, Hank thanked the audience for their applause and said:

"Some of you may have noticed that instead of four, there are only three of of us here tonight. Well, that's because one of us is missing! Unfortunately, Bruce was taken very ill and was unable to perform with us tonight. But we'd like to carry on without him and introduce you to... Cliff Richard...".

The Shads then accompanied Cliff on Visions (mainly the orchestra on that one) and In The Country (from the then-forthcoming "Cinderella" pantomime).

Other acts appearing included David Frost, Bob Monkhouse, the Dave Clark Five, the Beverley Sisters, Morecambe and Wise, Frankie Vaughan, the casts of various ITV programmes (performing sketches), Jimmy Logan, Frank Ifield and Pete & Dud.

More detail at: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13070814/
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Wed May 04, 2022 11:49 am

That performance of The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt (but not the Cliff Richard songs) was included on the CD "Atlantis - A Special Collection", issued by Fremus (Italy) in 1994, with the number CDFR 0543.
JimN

Postby Arpeggio » Wed May 04, 2022 2:17 pm

As ever, many thanks to Jim for giving all of the salient details. That particular track and much, much more will be on "The Shadows On TV - Vol.3". Yes folks, there will indeed be a Volume 3. Something to look forward to, eh?? :D
Arpeggio

Postby JimN » Wed May 04, 2022 2:29 pm

Arpeggio wrote:As ever, many thanks to Jim for giving all of the salient details. That particular track and much, much more will be on "The Shadows On TV - Vol.3". Yes folks, there will indeed be a Volume 3. Something to look forward to, eh?? :D

Oh, that's a shame. I was just going to post a link to audio of the Cliff and Shads performance...
JimN

Postby Arpeggio » Wed May 04, 2022 2:48 pm

Nothing to stop you doing that Jim. Anything to whet the appetite!! Always great to hear these clips at any time. :D
Arpeggio

Postby MikeAB » Wed May 04, 2022 3:13 pm

As usual, great informed answers - and I already have the Atlantis CD!
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby artyman » Wed May 04, 2022 4:53 pm

I don't think the date is correct as the Sunday would have been the 27th as I got married the weekend before.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby JimN » Wed May 04, 2022 5:06 pm

artyman wrote:I don't think the date is correct as the Sunday would have been the 27th as I got married the weekend before.

I have two dates available to me. I took the first one uncritically and should have checked.

The alternative is 4th December 1966, which was a Sunday!
JimN

Postby Arpeggio » Wed May 04, 2022 6:16 pm

After ALL these years of just taking that date at face value. Well spotted!!! The CORRECT date is indeed December 4th!!!!!! I have always simply accepted November 29th as being right. Several different people have supplied me with copies of this recording (over the course of nearly 50 years) and the date (in good faith I am sure) has always been stated as November 29th. I never questioned it & nor - it seems - did anyone else!!! :lol:
Arpeggio

Next

Return to The Shadows