everything of value cd

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

everything of value cd

Postby shadowriter » Wed May 18, 2022 8:59 pm

I have just bought on ebay this cd of the shadows subtitled rarities 2. Although I have most of the tracks
the ones I didn't have turned out to be mainly vocals. I did enjoy them although I am not a great fan of their vocals
Be Bop a Lula was a great version of Gene Vincents hit and Hank's driving guitar solos were worth the cost of the cd alone, as was the two John Rostill tracks which i Loved.
After all this rambling my question is: as this is subtitled rarities 2, does anyone have information on Rarities 1. Is this a previous cd or is it the same as the blue sleeved LP 'The Shadows Rarities?
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Re: everything of value cd

Postby Moderne » Wed May 18, 2022 11:19 pm

No, The Shadows Rarities LP on the EMI NUT label is what they mean to be Rarities 1. This was deleted before the CD age and hasn’t been issued on CD.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby shadowriter » Thu May 19, 2022 9:08 am

Moderne wrote:No, The Shadows Rarities LP on the EMI NUT label is what they mean to be Rarities 1. This was deleted before the CD age and hasn’t been issued on CD.

Thanks Clive, I had a feeling that might be the case. I do have the LP
so I don't need to search for a CD version. Much appreciated
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby iefje » Thu May 19, 2022 9:19 am

Moderne wrote:No, The Shadows Rarities LP on the EMI NUT label is what they mean to be Rarities 1. This was deleted before the CD age and hasn’t been issued on CD.

The "Rarities" compilation LP wasn't released on CD in the UK, but it did get an Australian release on a double CD with a different sleeve, coupled with the "Out Of The Shadows" album on the second disc. See this link for further details:
https://www.discogs.com/release/3652342-The-Shadows-Rarities
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Thu May 19, 2022 9:22 am

It's interesting though that both the 1976 "Rarities" LP as well as the 1993 "Everything Of Value - Rarities 2" CD feature Hank's solo tracks "London's Not Too Far" and "Break Another Dawn". These last two were probably added to the CD, because up till then they hadn't been included on a UK CD.
iefje

Postby JimN » Thu May 19, 2022 12:35 pm

iefje wrote:It's interesting though that both the 1976 "Rarities" LP as well as the 1993 "Everything Of Value - Rarities 2" CD feature Hank's solo tracks "London's Not Too Far" and "Break Another Dawn". These last two were probably added to the CD, because up till then they hadn't been included on a UK CD.

The inclusion of those two Hank Marvin tracks (because not available on a UK CD, or, indeed, any CD in stereo) was my suggestion to the late John Friesen during a productive 'brainstorming' conversation one evening after a "Tangent" concert in Surrey. Others I suggested were the A and B sides of the John Rostill single, plus the three "live" tracks from the 1959 "Cliff" LP (which at that time, was deleted on CD).

I also urged John to include Somewhere (in stereo) and even the seven tracks from "Established 1958" in order to make them available on a Shadows CD. Somewhere had been released on an Australian CD ("The Shadows' Favourites") but in mono. The only sources for the stereo version just then were still on vinyl (and maybe cassette).

I hadn't known that The Girl From Ipanema was an available EMI recording. Like others, I had recorded it onto tape in 1965 when it was included in one of the television "Cliff Richard Spectaculars" but had always assumed that it was an ATV recording made just for the show. It was quite a surprise to encounter it on the "Everything Of Value - Rarities 2" CD when it was released, especially with the orchestral overdub (not evident on the TV version).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Sun May 22, 2022 1:42 am

Everything of value was the first ever CD i bought around 1994. It had some tracks i didn't have so i was forced to move into the CD age. I went out and got a stereo with a CD player when i saw the CD on sale. I was glad to get digital (and stereo) versions of the Shadows tracks as i only had the on the original vinyl, i also got the two John Rostill tracks i'd been looking for. I remember the sleeve notes saying this was the final release or archive material. Luckily it wasn't. Apparently there's still tracks in the vaults that could be released but probably won't see the light of day.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Mon May 23, 2022 3:09 pm

JimN wrote:
iefje wrote:It's interesting though that both the 1976 "Rarities" LP as well as the 1993 "Everything Of Value - Rarities 2" CD feature Hank's solo tracks "London's Not Too Far" and "Break Another Dawn". These last two were probably added to the CD, because up till then they hadn't been included on a UK CD.

The inclusion of those two Hank Marvin tracks (because not available on a UK CD, or, indeed, any CD in stereo) was my suggestion to the late John Friesen during a productive 'brainstorming' conversation one evening after a "Tangent" concert in Surrey. Others I suggested were the A and B sides of the John Rostill single, plus the three "live" tracks from the 1959 "Cliff" LP (which at that time, was deleted on CD).

I also urged John to include Somewhere (in stereo) and even the seven tracks from "Established 1958" in order to make them available on a Shadows CD. Somewhere had been released on an Australian CD ("The Shadows' Favourites") but in mono. The only sources for the stereo version just then were still on vinyl (and maybe cassette).

I hadn't known that The Girl From Ipanema was an available EMI recording. Like others, I had recorded it onto tape in 1965 when it was included in one of the television "Cliff Richard Spectaculars" but had always assumed that it was an ATV recording made just for the show. It was quite a surprise to encounter it on the "Everything Of Value - Rarities 2" CD when it was released, especially with the orchestral overdub (not evident on the TV version).

Ah, that's interesting information, I didn't know that. :thumbup:
iefje

Return to The Shadows