Shadow Music album

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadow Music album

Postby JimN » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:56 pm

iefje wrote:I have heard one of The Beatles (I think it was John Lennon) say around 1963, that they didn't release singles off of their albums, but in fact their very first album "Please Please Me", did feature both sides of their first two Parlophone singles. The singles being "Love Me Do"/"P.S. I Love You" and "Please Please Me"/"Ask Me Why". Or maybe he meant that they didn't do that after the album had been released. In any case, their albums "Please Please Me", "A Hard Day's Night", "Help!", "Revolver", "Abbey Road" and "Let It Be" all included tracks which were also used on UK singles. Tracks from the albums "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "The Beatles" (aka "The White Album") were issued as singles in the UK in 1978 and 1976 respectively, some years after the group had broken up.
The very first Shadows album which had tracks released as singles in the UK was "Rockin' With Curly Leads" from 1973. The single taken from that album was "Turn Around And Touch Me"/"Jungle Jam".

"Please Please Me" didn't contain the A-side of the first (1962) single.

The version of Love Me Do used on that 12" disc was an alt take, with Andy White on drums and Ringo on tambourine.

Ringo had played drums on the take used on the single (45-R 4949).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Moderne » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:43 pm

Since my above post I remembered about The Beatles Please Please Me and A Hard Day's Night LPs; also Help! included the single...Help! They were the exception to the rule, though; it was unusual (in the '50s and '60s) for a British album to include tracks which were also issued as 45s.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:57 pm

JimN wrote:
iefje wrote:I have heard one of The Beatles (I think it was John Lennon) say around 1963, that they didn't release singles off of their albums, but in fact their very first album "Please Please Me", did feature both sides of their first two Parlophone singles. The singles being "Love Me Do"/"P.S. I Love You" and "Please Please Me"/"Ask Me Why". Or maybe he meant that they didn't do that after the album had been released. In any case, their albums "Please Please Me", "A Hard Day's Night", "Help!", "Revolver", "Abbey Road" and "Let It Be" all included tracks which were also used on UK singles. Tracks from the albums "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "The Beatles" (aka "The White Album") were issued as singles in the UK in 1978 and 1976 respectively, some years after the group had broken up.
The very first Shadows album which had tracks released as singles in the UK was "Rockin' With Curly Leads" from 1973. The single taken from that album was "Turn Around And Touch Me"/"Jungle Jam".

"Please Please Me" didn't contain the A-side of the first (1962) single.

The version of Love Me Do used on that 12" disc was an alt take, with Andy White on drums and Ringo on tambourine.

Ringo had played drums on the take used on the single (45-R 4949).

That is correct. The version of "Love Me Do" with Ringo on drums was issued on the single, but I think later pressings of that same single featured the version with Andy White on drums and Ringo on tambourine, which was indeed also included on the "Please Please Me" album. The following page has more details: https://www.jpgr.co.uk/r4949.html
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby howarddobson » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:31 pm

Very interesting responses from very knowledgeable fans! Thank you.

I think the intention was for the Beatles to issue the version of Love Me Do with AW on drums but the Ringo version was issued as an error.

I remember a friend looking at my copy of the Shads’ first album and saying - what no Apache! It’s still an amazing album without though.

Record formats are interesting though - some singles not on albums, some are, some are included in a different version, then there were EPs which could be original tracks or based on singles or albums…
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Previous

Return to The Shadows