Marvin, Welch & Farrar - Johnnie's Jukebox...

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marvin, Welch & Farrar - Johnnie's Jukebox...

Postby glyn012003 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:04 pm

Hope this is ok in 'The Shadows' section - please advise if I should divert it...
But guess what?
I got a request approved for 'Marvin, Welch & Farrar' to be included in 'Johnnie's Jukebox' on BBC Radio 2's 'Johnnie Walker's Sounds of the 70s'!
It was broadcast a while back on 1st May, but I missed the episode and only just realised today when I checked the list (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... es-jukebox)...
I could have picked any song, but went for a 'better-known' - 'Lady of the Morning' from the 'Second Opinion' (1971) album.
And it's number 451 on the list (although typo'd with 'The' missing :roll: ).
My pre-recorded sound bite is transcribed - in the 'Hi Johnnie...' formula requested by the producers - below - and you can find it on YouTube if you're desperate!!
Pre-amble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbEtI0E8dNA
Post-amble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAa45K12P_4
[I assume the whole track itself is not included for copyright reasons]
The episode isn't on BBC Sounds it would appear - they only have the last four episodes listed.
I think there is a rule about artists only featuring once - but guess we could try and sneak The Shadows in as a separate entity - as Paul McCartney is in there solo and with Wings! ;)
Anyone fancy it?!

Hi Johnnie,
Hope you're well.
I'd love to see a song by 'Marvin, Welch & Farrar' in Johnnie's Jukebox...
I think their post-Shadows project - or as it turned out, a between-incarnations-of-The-Shadows project - is a hugely unappreciated period of their career...
Bruce Welch & Hank Marvin had brought Australian singer and guitarist John Farrar on board and this relatively short early-70s period for the trio resulted in two great albums of vocals - sometimes compared to 'Crosby, Stills & Nash' in style - plus a final album from Hank & John without Bruce.
The songs were mostly self-penned and featured brilliant harmonies - they still sound amazing and pretty current today.
The song I've chosen, Johnnie, is this one - one of my personal favourites - 'Lady of the Morning' from the aptly titled 'Second Opinion' LP - and here it is.
Thanks Johnnie.
glyn012003

Full Real Name: Glyn Moxham

Re: Marvin, Welch & Farrar - Johnnie's Jukebox...

Postby Moderne » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:39 pm

Well done...thanks Glyn. I've always thought Lady of the Morning had "huge no.1 hit" written all over it. Why it didn't chart at all is one of the big mysteries of life! I think at the time I (aged 7) was more into Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Re: Marvin, Welch & Farrar - Johnnie's Jukebox...

Postby bgohara » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:24 am

good on you - well done Glyn
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Return to The Shadows