The Shadows' first single: which one's the A-side?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' first single: which one's the A-side?

Postby Fenderman » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:10 pm

Moderne wrote:I don't think the 'earlier matrix no. denotes the A-side' rule is always true; I'm sure Saturday Dance was the A-side of that disc. Talking of A-side/B-sides and listening to the Shadows on TV CDs, I notice that they performed Bombay Duck and Somewhere a few times but not Maroc 7 or Tomorrow's Cancelled. Anyone know why this was? Maybe Somewhere and Bombay Duck were easier to perform live...not relying on strings or 'female voices and vibes'. Have I answered my own question?!

I don't recall any female voices on either Maroc 7 or Tomorrow's cancelled. If you mean the la-la bit at the end of TC i thought that was one of the band, possibly Hank.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:48 pm

Tomorrow's Cancelled was recorded on 1st September 1967. It definitely includes a female voice in the backing.

Some weeks later, The Shadows' version of The Day I Met Marie, which included a publicised vocal interlude by Olivia Newton-John, was recorded (on 18th and 19th of October).

It seems pretty certain that Olivia did both of those vocal overdubs. Apart from anything else, it's not as though she was then overwhelmed with work.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JJMMWG DuPree » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:54 am

'Saturday Dance' was the track that got played (i.e. plugged) on Radio Luxembourg.
JJMMWG DuPree

Full Real Name: Deke Roberts

Previous

Return to The Shadows