Jigsaw

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Jigsaw

Postby drakula63 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:23 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is poor quality b&w footage that has been colourised or just poor quality colour footage! I think it's from Australia. Was Australia broadcasting in colour in '68...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMrbtqW5uMk
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Jigsaw

Postby iefje » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:04 pm

This clip comes from The Shadows' 1967 appearance on the Australian Bandstand TV show. It was originally filmed in black and white and colourised recently.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:43 pm

iefje wrote:This clip comes from The Shadows' 1967 appearance on the Australian Bandstand TV show. It was originally filmed in black and white and colourised recently.

... and making no attempt to hide the fact they are miming !

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Jay Bass » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:33 pm

Theres also footage of In the Mood and chelsea Boot which seem to be from the same show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-XtFtkrPBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdFO0mct-BI
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby Teflon » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:40 pm

Interesting guitars. Johns bass is still "Burns", but Hanks and Bruces both now branded "Baldwin", with one piece scratch plates. The body proportions look odd as well, with quite "squared off" edges. Not an improvement to my eyes.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:37 pm

Teflon wrote:Interesting guitars. Johns bass is still "Burns", but Hanks and Bruces both now branded "Baldwin", with one piece scratch plates. The body proportions look odd as well, with quite "squared off" edges. Not an improvement to my eyes.

Cliff

There's more on this topic in a thread from 2015-16...

http://www.shadowmusic.co.uk/viewtopic. ... =10#p92286

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby JimN » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:59 pm

An interesting side issue with Bruce's white "Marvin" is that while it was originally branded Burns and was switched over to Baldwin, it was back to Burns again when he occasionally produced it at Shadowmania (and even loaned it to certain players). Did Bruce somehow retain the Burns-branded treble-side upper-bout scratchplate section?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Teflon » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:25 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:There's more on this topic in a thread from 2015-16...

http://www.shadowmusic.co.uk/viewtopic. ... =10#p92286

Bill

Thanks for the link - an interesting read. I must admit, I hadn't noticed the extra knob replacing the pickup selector switch :oops: .

JimN wrote:An interesting side issue with Bruce's white "Marvin" is that while it was originally branded Burns and was switched over to Baldwin, it was back to Burns again when he occasionally produced it at Shadowmania (and even loaned it to certain players). Did Bruce somehow retain the Burns-branded treble-side upper-bout scratchplate section?

Would be great to know the full history of the instruments. BTW, it was great to meet you last month at Hersham :)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby JimN » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:54 pm

Thanks, Cliff... my pleasure entirely (thanks for the use of your wired tuner!).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby StuartD » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:05 pm

JimN wrote:An interesting side issue with Bruce's white "Marvin" is that while it was originally branded Burns and was switched over to Baldwin, it was back to Burns again when he occasionally produced it at Shadowmania (and even loaned it to certain players). Did Bruce somehow retain the Burns-branded treble-side upper-bout scratchplate section?

Interesting Jim. The last incarnation of the Burns Logo was the Very Large Burns Badge, made for TV. Later it was badged Baldwin and then he used it with MWF for a while like that. When i last saw the Shadows Bass, it was hanging on the wall at John Farrar's apartment in Potters Bar. He used it for demos. It had had the pickups replaced, after John Rostill and Paul Ferris both said it was knackered!! It still had the Baldwin badge. Later, when Hank gave it to Barry Gibson, he put a bUrns Logo on it. If it is the normal 'Retail, Burns Badge, it will be a replacement. If it is the lager one, then it may be the original. I suspect its a replacement.
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Next

Return to The Shadows