Spanish Armada

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Spanish Armada

Postby JimTidmarsh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Not necessarily Shads related, but . . .

This tune has fascinated me since I heard it in my local cinema back in the 1960s. I can't remember, though, what it was used for. My initial recollection was something to do with advertising but that was Pearl & dean with a completely different theme music.

Can anyone help restore my memeory ??
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Re: Spanish Armada

Postby captainhaddock » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Hello Jim, I just looked this little gem up on you-tube,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulMzpbHntw there are one or two answers on there that might help you! All the best, Philip.
captainhaddock

Postby Stratpicker » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:38 pm

I posted this tune just after Christmas and there is some very intereresting info came out of it if you read through the thread.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1446&p=10055&hilit=spanish+armada#p10055
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby gogarrio » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Jim, must chime in to say The Rapiers did a bang-up job covering this tune on "You're Never Alone With" CD, back in 2000. Listen here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Youre-Never-Alo ... 434&sr=8-2
gogarrio

Postby johnk » Tue May 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi Jim, Im the same as you this piece of music was in my head ever since days of sitting in the cinema during intermissions......I discoverd it is called Spanish Armada..Oriinally by Ventures and Duane Eddy..........but the version that we would recognise is by Les Reed combo.....you can see it on youtube...Its nice to get a result after all these years.....thats where the internet is so good.......John
johnk

Postby JimN » Wed May 12, 2010 12:55 am

johnk wrote:I discoverd it is called Spanish Armada..Oriinally by Ventures and Duane Eddy..........but the version that we would recognise is by Les Reed combo...

The original version of Spanish Armada IS by The Les Reed Combo, recorded on the Philips/Fontana label and issued in 1964.

Les Reed wrote it.

There was another contemporary-ish version, dated c. 1965, on an album by (or should that be par?) Le London All-Stars, an orchestra of British session-star-players, including Jimmy Page.The version by The Ventures (with Duane Eddy guesting) was recorded decades later - in the 1990s at least.

Hope this helps.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave pipeline » Wed May 12, 2010 1:14 pm

actually, Jim, The Ventures did record Spanish Armada in the mid-sixties. The track was finally issued on Ace's "In The Vaults Volume 2" CD which featured 26 never before released tracks from the sixties. Interestingly the band's drummer, Mel Taylor, also put out his own solo version of the tune in the same decade.

As The Ventures have never visited the UK I always puzzled over how they got to hear it. I can only surmise that Les Reed's publisher probably sent them the disc in the hope that they would record it as they were big bucks in those days.

Dave
dave pipeline

Postby noelford » Wed May 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Does anyone know if this is available anywhere to purchase as a single BT? I know Dave Robinson has done it on one of his BT CDs but unfortunately the other tracks which would interest me I already have other versions of.
noelford

Postby rogera » Wed May 12, 2010 8:25 pm

If you look on Dave Robinson's site you will find that you can buy individual backing tracks Noel.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby noelford » Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 pm

Many thanks, Roger – have just sent off my order to Dave.
noelford

Next

Return to The Shadows