The Shadows and Cliff in a Thai bar and...

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shadows and Cliff in a Thai bar and...

Postby Twilight Ranger » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:12 am

I am in Pattaya, Thailand, at the moment. There's a bar called Wonderful 2 on one of the main streets and a live band plays there every night. The musicians are in their thirties. One night they began their first set playing Apache, which was followed by The Ventures' Walk Don't Run. Half an hour later they played and sang The Young Ones. The arrangements were an exact copy of the originals, but of course they didn't play and sing as well as The Shadows and Cliff.

What really surprised me a couple of days later was Evergreen Tree. This must be a rather obscure song in Thailand! The bassist sang it and told me later that they also have Summer Holiday in their repertoire.

The Shadows' Happy Birthday to You, or actually only the instrumental beginning before the banter is occasionally played in a Finnish ice hockey club's home arena. I assume this happens when someone has a birthday. I think I'll email them the full version, so they can play a longer part of the tune if they want to.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Return to The Shadows