Postby andykombi » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:04 pm

Any photos of him using it ?
Kind regards Andy Dunne
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Re: Hanks vi bass

Postby JimN » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:38 pm

A good question!

I did see Hank using the Bass VI to play Stingray on a 1965 edition of "Sunday Night At The London Palladium", and again for the same number on tour (Liverpool Odeon) later that year.

I also remember seeing the same Bass VI being played by John Rostill on a "Royal Gala" televised in late 1966, where The Shadows played just one tune as a trio without Bruce, who had been taken ill that day. John played a hybrid bass / rhythm style (the live version of The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt was eventually released on "Atlantis - The Special Collection" (Fremus CDFR 0543).

But I have never seen a photograph of Hank with the Bass VI...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:34 pm

I also haven't seen Hank actually playing it, but I think it is pictured in the "Moonlight Shadows The Tour 1986" tour book. It's the picture of Hank posing with a collection of his guitars on a field.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby kinman » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:42 am

I own the fender bass V1 that Jet used in his last 9 years of performing !!!
kinman

Full Real Name: vic badcock

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:11 pm

JimN wrote:I also remember seeing the same Bass VI being played by John Rostill on a "Royal Gala" televised in late 1966, where The Shadows played just one tune as a trio without Bruce, who had been taken ill that day. John played a hybrid bass / rhythm style (the live version of The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt was eventually released on "Atlantis - The Special Collection" (Fremus CDFR 0543).

Yes I remember watching that at the time - along with Hank’s characteristic announcement: “You may have noticed there are only three of us on stage tonight. That’s because one of us is missing!”
Boy, did that show us what a great musician John was?! He and Hank between them effortlessly rearranged the music to fill all the gaps that would have been filled by Bruce.
This is not to denigrate Bruce one iota, his contribution to the Shads was vital to the band they were. The HBBJ team with that membership was the ultimate musical line-up for The Shadows as a versatile full-time group.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:03 am

Iain Purdon wrote:
JimN wrote:I also remember seeing the same Bass VI being played by John Rostill on a "Royal Gala" televised in late 1966, where The Shadows played just one tune as a trio without Bruce, who had been taken ill that day. John played a hybrid bass / rhythm style (the live version of The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt was eventually released on "Atlantis - The Special Collection" (Fremus CDFR 0543).

Yes I remember watching that at the time - along with Hank’s characteristic announcement: “You may have noticed there are only three of us on stage tonight. That’s because one of us is missing!”
Boy, did that show us what a great musician John was?! He and Hank between them effortlessly rearranged the music to fill all the gaps that would have been filled by Bruce.
This is not to denigrate Bruce one iota, his contribution to the Shads was vital to the band they were. The HBBJ team with that membership was the ultimate musical line-up for The Shadows as a versatile full-time group.

Here is Hank's announcement after they played "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt". You can just see John with the Fender VI bass in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtOwyaoxOMU
iefje

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:56 pm

iefje wrote:Here is Hank's announcement after they played "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt". You can just see John with the Fender VI bass in the background:

Interesting.

Has that been uploaded by the Cliff Richard Organisation?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:17 am

JimN wrote:
iefje wrote:Here is Hank's announcement after they played "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt". You can just see John with the Fender VI bass in the background:

Interesting.

Has that been uploaded by the Cliff Richard Organisation?

Hi Jim,

This video is featured on Cliff's official YouTube Channel, but I don't know if the Cliff Richard Organisation is involved.

There is a wealth of other official television and concert material to be found on this channel, many with The Shadows, Hank Marvin, Marvin, Welch & Farrar and other Shadows connections. A lot of this material has not received a home video release (Betamax video, VHS video, laser disc, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.).
iefje

Postby iefje » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:30 am

kinman wrote:I own the fender bass V1 that Jet used in his last 9 years of performing !!!

Wow, that's quite an instrument to own, very special! :)
iefje

Return to The Shadows