Shadows Mysteries That May Remain Unsolved

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows Mysteries That May Remain Unsolved

Postby Moderne » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:23 am

iefje wrote:
Answer to question #7 (the first one): One of the first must have been the Cliff Richard & The Shadows track "Don't Talk To Him", although that was the Burns Double Six.

Although this sounds like a Double Six, Hank actually overdubbed a six-string guitar (not sure if it was a Strat or a Marvin prototype) to get the 12-string sound - because of intonation problems with the Double Six. Stuart Duffy told me this. You can hear two separate notes (ie strings not sounding together...as they would if it was a 12-string) at the beginning of the first guitar phrase after the guitar solo.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:46 pm

Moderne wrote:
iefje wrote:
Answer to question #7 (the first one): One of the first must have been the Cliff Richard & The Shadows track "Don't Talk To Him", although that was the Burns Double Six.

Although this sounds like a Double Six, Hank actually overdubbed a six-string guitar (not sure if it was a Strat or a Marvin prototype) to get the 12-string sound - because of intonation problems with the Double Six. Stuart Duffy told me this. You can hear two separate notes (ie strings not sounding together...as they would if it was a 12-string) at the beginning of the first guitar phrase after the guitar solo.

Clive, thank you for clarifying this, I didn't know that. Did "On The Beach" feature the Burns Double Six?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:50 pm

JimN wrote:
willyboy wrote:I can only comment on question 7 "Little B " , The Shadows played an outdoor concert at an a "aquatic centre " (swimming pool !) back in '67 here in Perth Australia in a marquee supported by steel uprights , Brian incorporated the uprights into the solo for some unusual sounds , Hank , Bruce and John quietly exited stage right into the darkness and cigarettes were seen glowing until they returned ....no percussion from them , only the odd ciggy at this performance .

Neither Hank nor Bruce were ever smokers.

Any visible cigarettes would have all been the work of John Rostill solo.

Smoking Shadows:

Jet Harris
Tony Meehan (possibly not later in life)
[Brian Bennett]
Licorice Locking (ditto)
John Rostill
Cliff Hall (if I recall correctly).

That's correct. I have never seen Brian Locking smoke in recent years when I saw him at the fan meetings, but have seen old pictures of The Wildcats / The Krew Kats where he did. I don't know if Brian Bennett still smokes though. In the days of Marvin, Welch & Farrar and his time with The Shadows, John Farrar also smoked, but again I don't know if he still does.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:17 pm

iefje wrote:
abstamaria wrote:There remain for me (not steeped in Shadows lore but having tried to absorb much from this very instructive forum) some questions that remain unresolved.

3. Did Hank continue to record on # 34346 after the Shadows received the rosewood-board Strats?
7. What was the first piece recorded on the Burns?
7. Who played the bongos (or other percussion instruments) in Little B? The claves or other sticks? (I think Jim Nugent recalls that the rest of the Shads played Latin American percussion while Brian Bennett played the piece at a 1962 show in Newcastle that he attended.)
I wish this forum were accessible to ChatGPT, then I may ask it what the current thinking is.
Andy

Answer to question #3: I think he stopped using that guitar and returned it to Cliff.
Answer to question #7 (the first one): One of the first must have been the Cliff Richard & The Shadows track "Don't Talk To Him", although that was the Burns Double Six. Probably the first Shadows track to feature the Burns (6-string) was the first version of "Razzmataz", recorded on November the 27th, 1963.
Answer to question #7 (the second one): the other percussion instruments on "Little 'B'" were played by Hank, Bruce and Licorice. Just after the drumsolo started, they put down their guitars and quietly walked over to those instruments.
Regarding ChatGPT, that's still a stupid computer program with a lot of algorithms, which makes it look like it has intelligence, which it has not. ;)

In answer to Andy's Q7 (the second Q7), the first time I ever saw The Shadows live was in 1962 in My Home Town of Liverpool and not Newcastle (the best part of 150 miles away as crows fly)!

As to lefje's answer to the same question from Andy, the drill for Little B was that the three frontline players (Hank, Licorice and Peter Carter) put down their instruments and left the stage completely. After a couple of minutes - at the appropriate moment - they walked back out and stood close together stage right and played the Latin percussion instruments (conga, cabasa and claves, I think), leaving again after that interlude, then finally back on stage for the end of the drum solo. At no point did they stand on stage listening to Brian's solo.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:21 pm

I bet that this Chinese drum is pretty low-pitched!

https://tinyurl.com/5n7wdfme
JimN

Postby Teflon » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:14 pm

JimN wrote:.............. the three frontline players (Hank, Licorice and Peter Carter) put down their instruments and left the stage completely. A........

So just when you think you know a lot about your favourite band, you read this :D .. First time I've heard Peter carter mentioned - presumably a temporary stand in for Bruce. Do you know the story behind it? was Bruce unwell?

Cheers,

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:02 pm

Yes Jim often tells this story of seeing the Shadows just after Licorice had joined and Peter Carter depped for Bruce who was unwell.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby abstamaria » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:50 pm

JimN wrote:I bet that this Chinese drum is pretty low-pitched!

https://tinyurl.com/5n7wdfme

I can’t open that link, Jim.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:57 pm

JimN

Postby JimN » Mon May 01, 2023 12:02 am

Iain Purdon wrote:Yes Jim often tells this story of seeing the Shadows just after Licorice had joined and Peter Carter depped for Bruce who was unwell.

Later that week (in Peterborough, I think), the bearded Chas McDevitt stood in on rhythm guitar (presumably because Peter had commitments with Emile Ford and The Checkmates). Incidentally, Chas and Shirley Douglas were on the same bill as The Shadows for that week's variety in Liverpool. So were Frank Ifield and Jackie Trent, as well as comedy duo Daley and Wayne. And a troupe of Chinese acrobats. It really was like an extended version of Sunday Night At The London Palladium.
JimN

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows