RFX2000 cloning

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

RFX2000 cloning

Postby scotocaster » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi folks, i bought another RFX2000 and rather than using my Edirol to copy my patches via the computer... i see it can be done direct (one RFX to another, via the midi cables). In the RFX manual page 12, it shows how to go about it. "Data transfer (Send)". I understand the parts 1,2, and 3 ok, but a little mixed up on part 4. "To execute the data transfer, press the STORE button?. is this on the send or receive unit? :oops: . any help appreciated. Scott
scotocaster

Re: RFX2000 cloning

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:30 am

Scotty,

Are these a good unit, worth having? I'm looking at one on EBay at the moment. Does Charlie H have any patches for these? ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Stratpicker » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:14 am

Hi Bill
I've used an RFX2000 EFTP with Charlies patches since 2005. A good unit for Shads work if you cant afford the more modern and more expensive units like Q2.
Charlie by his own admission will tell you that by his high later standards these fall short but only due to the lack of technology in the Zoom rather than duff patches. Whatever the case,they aint so bad and ALL my SFs are done with it .
The Achilles heel of the unit is the front Mic socket that you MUST use in order to get the best out of it. Ignore the Send-Recieve loop AND the inputs on the back. Mic socket has twice the impedance and gives a much better tone. HOWEVER it works loose over time and the cure is to open the box up and use a caulk to fix it firmly in place before repeated use cracks the circuit board to which it is fixed. It has an external PSU on 12v AC, yes AC which whilst removing a source of hum from the proximity of the unit does mean its another item you have to remember to carry around with you in your Grab Bag - or it wont work! LOL! Guess how I know this?! :oops:
Charlie used NOT to program other folks RFX2000's, you bought them from him ready programmed, but he may do these days as the unit is quite elderly and he may sell the patches nowadays.
cheers
Ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby petercreasey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 am

Stratpicker wrote:Hi Bill
I've used an RFX2000 EFTP with Charlies patches since 2005. A good unit for Shads work if you cant afford the more modern and more expensive units like Q2.
Charlie by his own admission will tell you that by his high later standards these fall short but only due to the lack of technology in the Zoom rather than duff patches. Whatever the case,they aint so bad and ALL my SFs are done with it .
The Achilles heel of the unit is the front Mic socket that you MUST use in order to get the best out of it. Ignore the Send-Recieve loop AND the inputs on the back. Mic socket has twice the impedance and gives a much better tone. HOWEVER it works loose over time and the cure is to open the box up and use a caulk to fix it firmly in place before repeated use cracks the circuit board to which it is fixed. It has an external PSU on 12v AC, yes AC which whilst removing a source of hum from the proximity of the unit does mean its another item you have to remember to carry around with you in your Grab Bag - or it wont work! LOL! Guess how I know this?! :oops:
Charlie used NOT to program other folks RFX2000's, you bought them from him ready programmed, but he may do these days as the unit is quite elderly and he may sell the patches nowadays.
cheer
Ian
#

I've owned Q2, Quad GT Magic stomp and even the ESE echomatic and still go back to the zoom, however I prefer the later 2200 version because of the problem Ian mentions. The 2200 has a much more sturdy arrangement for the front input and has a direct power source rather than the PSU
Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby scotocaster » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:Scotty,

Are these a good unit, worth having? I'm looking at one on EBay at the moment. Does Charlie H have any patches for these? ;)

Hi Bill, the RFX-2000 and the RFX-2200 are nice units. the RFX-2200 is the newer model which has a built-in power supply and as Charlie Hall says "a little noisier". On both models, you should really use an effects pedal (in the off position) to get a better impedence match and it also solves the problem of loose inputs by going through the effects pedal first. I have two Q20's and they are certainly better sounding,( but much more expensive). Yes Charle Hall sells EFTP patches for them at a very reasonable price, or if you go to the EchoTapper site you can download some made by Piet and Jac for free, they are also nice patches
scotocaster

Postby Stratpicker » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 pm

scotocaster wrote:

On both models, you should really use an effects pedal (in the off position) to get a better impedence match and it also solves the problem of loose inputs by going through the effects pedal first.

Y'know Scott, I've never really understood how this can work. I know lots of people do this. Surely if I have a spare pedal in the line but "Off" how can it do anything to condition the signal? And why. Even now I get the Input "peaking" with the volume knob on the 2000 at only half. All I'll do is make it worse! Amanda is probably reading this and groaning (like everyone else) at my lack of understanding of electronics - BUT -WHY does it work??
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks all for the informative replies!

Being a lifelong rhythm player (with occasional forays into a lead riff) I have only recently got into playing instrumental lead setting up a one man show with backing tracks etc. I have a mix of effects units (some steam powered from the '70's!), with the most recent being a V-AMP2 (didn't like it), a ZOOM G7.1uT (which knob or button do I turn now?) and recently an Alesis Quadraverb GT which I bought and installed the genuine EFTP patches from Charlie for. Current intention is to use the GT, as it is easy to use and set up, however I was interested when I saw the RFX2000 on EBay and also mentioned in ShadowMusic, hence the original questions.

I suppose the obvious question is, is the RFX2000 better than the Quadraverb GT for Shadows stuff? ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby scotocaster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:19 am

Bill Bowley wrote:Thanks all for the informative replies!

Being a lifelong rhythm player (with occasional forays into a lead riff) I have only recently got into playing instrumental lead setting up a one man show with backing tracks etc. I have a mix of effects units (some steam powered from the '70's!), with the most recent being a V-AMP2 (didn't like it), a ZOOM G7.1uT (which knob or button do I turn now?) and recently an Alesis Quadraverb GT which I bought and installed the genuine EFTP patches from Charlie for. Current intention is to use the GT, as it is easy to use and set up, however I was interested when I saw the RFX2000 on EBay and also mentioned in ShadowMusic, hence the original questions.

I suppose the obvious question is, is the RFX2000 better than the Quadraverb GT for Shadows stuff? ;)

Hi Bill, the Quad GT is a better unit as it was designed for guitar use. The RFX unit has nice echoes but the Quad GT will sound more authentic. Scott
scotocaster

Postby scotocaster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:30 am

Stratpicker wrote:
scotocaster wrote:

On both models, you should really use an effects pedal (in the off position) to get a better impedence match and it also solves the problem of loose inputs by going through the effects pedal first.

Y'know Scott, I've never really understood how this can work. I know lots of people do this. Surely if I have a spare pedal in the line but "Off" how can it do anything to condition the signal? And why. Even now I get the Input "peaking" with the volume knob on the 2000 at only half. All I'll do is make it worse! Amanda is probably reading this and groaning (like everyone else) at my lack of understanding of electronics - BUT -WHY does it work??
cheers
ian

Hi Ian, the RFX was not designed for direct guitar use as the impendece is too low ,there is a mismatch.Impedence is the AC resistance This means a guitar direct to the unit will sound a bit duller (not as bright). The idea of the pedal is to raise the impedence a bit higher and give you a better sound. The average joe might not notice the difference. If Amanda sees this post she can explain it a bit better than me (Amanda.... i have less problems explaining working the birds hi hi) Have a great day. Scott
scotocaster

Postby Bill Bowley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:20 am

Scott,

Many thanks for that advice -I will pass the RFX2000 by. ;)
Bill Bowley

Next

Return to The Shadows