Shades Of Rock

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shades Of Rock

Postby waltergarcia » Wed May 24, 2023 10:18 am

Hello everybody. I just put on ' Shades Of Rock' wich I think is just terrific, some don't like it at all. Ok, we have different taste, but The Shadows, for me is Nr: 1...
but about this 'Shades Of Rock', I never can find out who is on that record, the only thing I can guess, is that Hank is on there, I have been googling,
but nothing exatly comes up, so I just wondering if somebody of you can come up with some good answers...
waltergarcia

Full Real Name: walter garcia

Re: Shades Of Rock

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 25, 2023 10:26 am

The quick answer is that "Shades of Rock" features Hank Marvin on lead and Brian Bennett on drums. Alan Hawkshaw is on keyboards: he had come in to help when Bruce Welch left. John Rostill plays bass on a few tracks, the other bass duties are shared between session men Herbie Flowers, Dave Richmond and Brian Odgers.
This website has comprehensive search facilities and this album has been well discussed here over the years. You should find everything you want to know here but please ask if you don’t.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Thu May 25, 2023 11:17 am

waltergarcia wrote:Hello everybody. I just put on ' Shades Of Rock' wich I think is just terrific, some don't like it at all. Ok, we have different taste, but The Shadows, for me is Nr: 1...
but about this 'Shades Of Rock', I never can find out who is on that record, the only thing I can guess, is that Hank is on there, I have been googling,
but nothing exatly comes up, so I just wondering if somebody of you can come up with some good answers...

Hello Walter, welcome to this great forum! :)

Regarding the "Shades Of Rock" album, just take a look at my feature on The Shadows instrumentation via this link, from page 50 onwards:

http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/instru ... file01.pdf

Also, take a look at this discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15609&hilit=bassists+shades
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu May 25, 2023 8:40 pm

In view of the passing of Tina Turner, the highlighting of the album could be considered as topical with its inclusion of the track, River Deep, Mountain High - the merits of which have been open to some debate over the years.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Return to The Shadows