I Believe

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

I Believe

Postby Beebs » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:42 am

https://app.box.com/s/ciziau9bik4u9q27riadyqpw7sqm0w5y

Be nice to get some feedback guys, sad to see the sound files dying out here, it was a good site.
An old one from the 50's I think popularized by Frankie Laine (?). Anyone remember it?

https://app.box.com/s/ciziau9bik4u9q27riadyqpw7sqm0w5y

Regards

Bob Brown
Beebs

Full Real Name: Bob Brown

Re: I Believe

Postby artyman » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:28 am

I remember it more from The Bachelors as a vocal.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby Twilight Ranger » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:21 am

artyman wrote:I remember it more from The Bachelors as a vocal.

Elvis Presley recorded it in 1957.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby Garystrat » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:05 pm

Hi Bob,

According Wikipedia it was recorded three times in 1953, by David Whitfield, Perry Como, Mahalia Jackson. I was only youngster back then, but out of those Perry Como was a household name (had his own early B/W TV shows) and I do seem to recall David Whitfield if not him doing this Beautiful number, but Mahalia Jackson is not familiar at all.

This is another one of those classic numbers that has been recorded by so many top artists from 1953 - 2000 (according to the list), I was quite surprised that I had completely forgotten one of the more recent on the list, Robson & Jerome in 1995!

Regarding the sound files, I guess it’s inevitable that a lot the nostalgia will dwindle beyond our generation and it seems mainly yourself covering them as guitar instrumentals!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby Beebs » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:38 pm

Sorry I've duplicated this in the wrong section instead of 'sound files'. I thought I'd cancelled this off here, but hey there's people here !

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes Elvis certainly had a shot at it but there are a lot of Elvis covers he did which were just a repeat of the originals without finding some kind of different arrangements to revitalize them, I think this was one of those covers.

Regards

Bob Brown
Beebs

Postby Beebs » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:55 pm

Thanks Gary. yes I used to do it as a vocal years ago.

I remember doing a solo gig one night, almost all vocals in Sydney and I had sang the song and also threw in maybe 2 instrumentals. I recollect it was a Yamaha FX500 effects box for the instrus.

Anyway a European guy came up to me that night and said he was from the Sydney Finnish Club and congratulated me on what he said was the 'perfect' Shadows sound. I laughed when I heard that because obviously it was not and I told him so.

But what was really funny was his reply. He said " No,no,no. I know the Shadows sound very well , I've followed everything they've ever done and I know everything about them right from when they started right up to today" ". . . and I particularly like their lead guitarist . . . HANK WILLIAMS !"

Regards

Bob
Beebs

Postby Garystrat » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:57 pm

Hi Bob,

That's absolutely priceless, I bet you dined out for years on that one, maybe you should have asked him what he thought of Bruce Marvin! LOL

Bests
Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby Beebs » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:48 pm

Oh, yes BM, know him well !
Beebs

Postby shadowriter » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:11 am

I certainly remember it. 1953 and I used to sing it on my paper round. Loved all the songs of that era.
loved watching the big names on the Sunday night at the London Palladium show back in the day when they performed
not on and off in 3 minutes.
Enjoyed your version, although it is difficult to bring out the emotion of the song in an instrumental version.

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby Beebs » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:05 am

Thanks Norm, yes it can be a little difficult with instrumentals to get on top of powerful ballads at times.

Rgds

Bob Brown
Beebs

Return to The Shadows