Hanks First Echo Box

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hanks First Echo Box

Postby Teflon » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:33 pm

I've always understood from interviews with Hank, that he got his first echo box from Joe Brown (either gifted, or possibly sold). Joe showed Hank the echo box, said he didn't like it, and so it ended up with Hank. Just before Covid hit, I was fortunate enough to see Joe in concert on his last tour. He repeated the tale himself, but interestingly, added that Hank had told him the story on numerous occasions, but that he (Joe) couldn't actually recall it! He remembered having the echo box, but not giving/selling it to Hank. He clearly believed Hank though, and considered it a lapse in his own memory as it was so many years ago.

Anyhow, just been watching the latest interview with Bruce (see below) and Bruce suggests that Joe showed Hank the echo box, following which, Hank went out and bought his own: a Vox branded Meazzi.

So, given what Bruce has said, and the fact that Joe can't recall giving Hank the echo box, is Hank "mis-remembering" I wonder, or did he get it from Joe? All a long time ago now, so I doubt there's any way to know for sure. Doesn't matter in the great scheme of things, but these little details intrigue me for some reason.

Thoughts anyone?

Cliff

Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Re: Hanks First Echo Box

Postby dave robinson » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:07 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the story is that Joe Brown had a Meazzi, said he didn't like it, let Hank try it (possibly loaned it for a while) and the Hank went and bought one from Jennings. That's always been the tale and it's other people that change it. :|
My experience of hearing and owning a Meazzi Echomatic, albeit mine is a transistor one, is that they are not reliable and very temperamental, whilst adding a musicial magic with their tone and distortion that does contribute to the early singles and helped the appeal sound-wise.
Having established all of that I no longer bother with mine and enjoy the sound provided by my TVS3, Strymon Volante or Zoom G5n, all of which are more reliable and consistent in their performance.
The Meazzis' that Hank had were known to be troublesome and he went through several in a short time span, with Dick Denney eventually smashing them up and burying them under his patio. As early as 1962 Hank was seen to be using a Binson which was a better machine as reliability went, but didn't have the same head patterns, though non of us realised when listening to a live performance. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby phil kelly » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:27 pm

Regarding Meazzis i have three gems for sale fully modded and sounding fabulous if anyone is interested,
pm me
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby andykombi » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:45 pm

Hi Phil
Try Gary Bryant from the runaways he might be interested .kind regards Andy Dunne
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Return to The Shadows