Shadows with strings

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadows with strings

Postby shadowriter » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:51 am

Cliff Richard has a new album out (Cliff with strings)
Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to re-release and promote the
Shadows with strings?

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Re: Shadows with strings

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:54 am

shadowriter wrote:Cliff Richard has a new album out (Cliff with strings)
Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to re-release and promote the
Shadows with strings?

Norman

This would be one for EMI, I imagine, and probably highly unlikely these days, as it's all keyboards on the Polydor output... but you never can tell!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Moderne » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:33 am

EMI did release a 26-track CD around the year 2000 entitled With Strings Attached which collected together most of their strings-backed songs from the '60s and '70s. Copies are easily and inexpensively available via eBay, Discogs etc. It also included a neat little booklet which includes the quote from Peter Gormley on hearing the playback of Brian's magnificent Slaughter on Tenth Avenue arrangement for the first time: "Well that was bloody boring"!! As Bill says, I can't think of any tunes they recorded with 'real' strings after 1979 but stand to be corrected. Such a CD would have a very limited market now sadly, I would have thought, due to the passage of time...
The idea of 'dubbing' new string arrangements onto original recordings - which I think is what has been done with the Cliff album - has been around for a few years but I doubt whether it would be applied to acts like The Shadows who would nowadays be viewed as 'minority nostalgia interest'.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby andykombi » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:22 pm

1977 and the had another keyboard player to do string numbers . I've heard the shadows album that Norrie did
Not my type of album I'd really want
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby iefje » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:15 pm

andykombi wrote:1977 and the had another keyboard player to do string numbers . I've heard the shadows album that Norrie did
Not my type of album I'd really want

Do you mean the 1965 "Shadows In Latin" album?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:22 pm

The "With Strings Attached" compilation CD didn't feature any new material, but it did contain some rarely issued tracks, like "I Can't Forget" and "Poem" and in clear digitally remastered sound. All tracks on it were always meant to have orchestral backing, while the tracks on Cliff's new album did not, with the exception of "Summer Holiday" and "The Young Ones". I wonder if the new "Cliff With Strings - My Kinda Life" album will indeed contain the original versions of the tracks, with new added strings.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to The Shadows