NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows In Concert

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows In Concert

Postby iefje » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:02 pm

Two new releases are coming this month from Dusty Tapes:
- The Shadows "In Concert Vol.1 1961-1962": https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.ph ... er=product
- The Shadows "In Concert Vol.2 1964": https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.ph ... er=product

Another set of essential CDs, although the first CD features material which has been issued before.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows In Concert

Postby shadowriter » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:21 am

I think all of the material has been issued before. Brilliant cover shots though. Be
worth buying just for those.
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby iefje » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:59 am

shadowriter wrote:I think all of the material has been issued before. Brilliant cover shots though. Be
worth buying just for those.

Of the first CD, the material from Denmark on the 24th or 25th of August, 1961 (except "More Than I Can Say") has not appeared before (apart from bootlegs maybe) and the edited version of "Little 'B'" from the Kingston concert. All the material on the second CD has not appeared before (again apart from bootlegs maybe).
iefje

Postby anniv 63 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:41 pm

I am a bit confused here!!
Surely the ABC Kingston tracks are exactly the same as the official CD release in 2002?
And of course these were in pretty pristine sound despite what Mr Paramour thought at the time.(1962)

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby iefje » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:09 pm

anniv 63 wrote:I am a bit confused here!!
Surely the ABC Kingston tracks are exactly the same as the official CD release in 2002?
And of course these were in pretty pristine sound despite what Mr Paramour thought at the time.(1962)

Mike

Six of them are the same as the 2002 album. As I mentioned earlier, "Little 'B'" has been edited down to 2:17 (see screenshot of the back cover), while "All My Sorrows" is not included. The sound of the 2002 album was/is first-rate.
iefje

Postby Pgoodw2 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:12 pm

It will be interesting to see if on Volume 2, the 1964 concert is actually the one on the 7th May from Holland as I never come across that before. It is usually the concert from Liege on the following day that is available on You Tube.
Pgoodw2

Full Real Name: Philip Goodwin

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:20 pm

iefje wrote:
anniv 63 wrote:I am a bit confused here!!

Mike

Six of them are the same as the 2002 album. As I mentioned earlier, "Little 'B'" has been edited down to 2:17 (see screenshot of the back cover), while "All My Sorrows" is not included. The sound of the 2002 album was/is first-rate.

The CD "...Live at The ABC Kingston" is still in copyright.

Warner Music may have something to say...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:49 am

JimN wrote:The CD "...Live at The ABC Kingston" is still in copyright.

Warner Music may have something to say...

Weren't the ABC Kingston tracks recorded in 1962 ? then they are over 50 years old, and should be in the public domain.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:31 am

Er, not quite. UK law says ...

(Yes:) Copyright extends 50 years from the year in which the sound recording was made

(But:) If during that period the sound recording is published or made available to the public (e.g. by being played in public or broadcast), copyright lasts for 70 years from that year.

The Kingston CD was published in 2002. That’s the first time the recordings had been made available to the public, so I think they are in copyright until 2072.

I imagine Dusty Tapes are well aware of the need to clear copyright so I would expect their legal team to have sought permission from the copyright owners.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Teflon » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:37 am

Was just about to post the same, but I see Ian has beaten me to it (must try to type faster!) :D Some detailed info on the subject here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-term-extension-for-sound-recordings

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Next

Return to The Shadows