NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows In Concert

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows In Concert

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:51 am

In fact the subject of copyright is a regular one in this forum. I just put the word “copyright” into the search box (top right) and 41 pages came up!
Plenty of bedtime reading if you like that sort of thing.

This thread drew my eye ...
http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5911&hilit=copyright
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:23 pm

Pgoodw2 wrote:It will be interesting to see if on Volume 2, the 1964 concert is actually the one on the 7th May from Holland as I never come across that before. It is usually the concert from Liege on the following day that is available on You Tube.

Five tracks from the Holland appearance have been included on the semi-bootleg CD "Live In Holland '64-'65", issued on the Italian Aulica label in 1995. The five tracks are these: "Dance On", "Foot Tapper", "Apache", "Sleepwalk" and "F.B.I.".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:22 pm

What guitar is Hank playing on the front of the 164 CD? A red Burns? Never seen that before.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Moderne » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:40 pm

Fenderman wrote:What guitar is Hank playing on the front of the 164 CD? A red Burns? Never seen that before.

It's a sunburst Burns Double Six...a still from the On The Beach sequence from Wonderful Life. Just looks red in the photo.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:04 am

I have received both CDs last Saturday. As we can expect by now from Dusty Tapes, two very fine releases again. The sound of the four tracks from the South African EP "The Shadows At The Colosseum Johannesburg" is pretty clear, although those had to be dubbed from vinyl. According to the sleeve notes, the master tapes have been destroyed by fire. That I already knew, but it has been the case since 1973. I didn't know that though. "Little 'B'" from the Kingston concert has been edited down to about one and a half minutes, completely omitting Brian's drumsolo, so now containing only the instrumental lead-in and lead-out with the whole band playing. I haven't had time to listen to the second CD, but that will come very soon.
iefje

Postby JimN » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:41 pm

Tape-sourced CD masters (ie, not from vinyl as far as I can tell) of two of the four live South African tracks do exist.

The EMI South Africa CD "Special Collection" (CDEMCJ (WM) 5450 (mono/stereo*/Ø)) contains "from tape" versions of the 1961 live FBI and Shazam!.

That 1992 CD was re-released (by EMI in South Africa) in 1994 under the title "Gold - Greatest Hits Collection" (CDGOLD (WB) 9 (mono/stereo*/Ø).

Identical track listing for both:

1. Apache
2. Kon-Tiki
3. FBI (live 1961)
4. Atlantis *
5. Shadoogie *
6. Man Of Mystery
7. Mustang
8. Theme From 'Shane'
9. Jet Black
10. Quatermasster's Stores
11. Dance On! *
12. Foot Tapper Ø [single version]
13. The Frightened City *
14. The Stranger
15. Cosy *
16. Shotgun
17. Theme From 'Giant'
18. Guitar Tango *
19. Shazam! (live 1961)
20. Midnight

My database note:

A South African re-issued compilation. Tracks 4, 5, 11, 13, 15 & 18 are in stereo; track 12 is in Ø; the rest are in mono (and mostly dubbed from scratchy vinyl disc). "Foot Tapper" in Ø is only available on CD here (or on the same release under a different title). All stereo tracks are the "wrong way round". The tapes of the live versions of "FBI" and "Shazam!" are better quality than the ones used for the (UK) See For Miles "EP Collection Volume 2" CD. This [EMI South Africa] CD was released in 1992 under the title "Special Collection" (EMI [SA] CDEMCJ (WM) 5450) and again in 1994 (different artwork) as "Gold - Greatest Hits Collection" (CDGOLD (WB) 9 (mono/stereo*/Ø).

NB: The mock-stereo Foot Tapper created by Bruce for the 1977 vinyl release of "20 Golden Greats" is what is used here. As dedicated fans will know, that version was not used on the "20 Golden Greats" CD reissue (where the track was rendered, as so often, in mono). The only other re-release of Bruce's mock-stereo remix of which I am aware was on the cassette "An Hour Of The Shadows" (EMI / MfP HR 4181123 4).
Last edited by JimN on Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:50 pm

JimN wrote:Tape-sourced CD masters (ie, not from vinyl as far as I can tell) of two of the four live South African tracks do exist.

The EMI South Africa CD "Special Collection" (CDEMCJ (WM) 5450 (mono/stereo*/Ø)) contains "from tape" versions of the 1961 live FBI and Shazam!.

That 1992 CD was re-released (by EMI in South Africa) in 1994 under the title "Gold - Greatest Hits Collection" (CDGOLD (WB) 9 (mono/stereo*/Ø).

Thank you Jim for clarifying this. This means that the fact of the master tape destruction in 1973 is incorrect or could it be that maybe a copy of the master tape was used for the 1992 and 1994 CDs?
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:54 pm

So, in the past was there a fire at Abbey Road? What other tapes were destroyed?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:16 pm

iefje wrote:This means that the fact of the master tape destruction in 1973 is incorrect or could it be that maybe a copy of the master tape was used for the 1992 and 1994 CDs?

I am sure that there must have been a copy of the tape (for these two tracks, at least). Even if it no longer exists, the copy is effectively preserved on these two South African discs.

As regards the versions taken from vinyl for the See For Miles CD, technology has moved on. Today, digital noise-reduction has been much improved as compared with thirty years ago.

When I have time, I'll see what I can do with the other two tracks (Sleepwalk and Guitar Boogie).

To the question raised by Fenderman:

The fire which destroyed some of EMI (SA)'s tape archive happened in South Africa, nothing directly to do with EMI's archives at Hayes, Middlesex.
JimN

Postby JimN » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:28 pm

Try this link for the four live-in-SA tracks, using pieces from the See For Miles CD (especially Norman Vaughan's spoken introduction) as well as from the South African compilation disc.

Suggestion: cut the four tracks in numerical order to a Disc-At-Once CD-R.

See whether you can still discern any vinyl noise (and let me know if you can, together with the position within the track(s)).

https://mega.nz/folder/1cciUDrZ#x8XNnmlNJdgc28Lc3iOW8Q
JimN

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows