Turn Around And Touch Me / Jungle Jam

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Turn Around And Touch Me / Jungle Jam

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:53 am

I was wondering about The Shadows' single "Turn Around And Touch Me"/"Jungle Jam". Hank and Bruce told presenter John Peel on BBC Radio in 1974, that the sides of the single were subsequently swapped around to "Jungle Jam"/"Turn Around And Touch Me". However, I have never seen any such evidence on any of the copies of the single I have ever come across. All copies I have seen, had the original A-side and the original B-side. Has anyone ever seen the second edition of the single with the tracks swapped around?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Turn Around And Touch Me / Jungle Jam

Postby UlrichS » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:07 pm

Hi Ivo,
A recognizable swap of sides could only happen for second (or more) pressings as I don't believe that the first pressing was withdrawn and then replaced with copies of "Jungle Jam / Turn Around And Touch Me". And I don't think that this single sold so many copies that a second pressing happened.
At least, I have never come across a copy of "Jungle Jam" b/w "Turn Around And Touch Me".
See you in Tilburg.
Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby jfenn78 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:05 pm

Might it be the case that any airplay was switched from TTATM to JJ, rather than the single being re-pressed? As discovered, the single (released late October) did make the top 75 in December, so it could have been that the more immediate sounding side was repromoted?
jfenn78

Full Real Name: james fenn

Postby Unsospero » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:14 am

Vic Rusts Shads Recording Catalogue says:
"TAATM was backed with JJ and released as a single on the EMI label (catalogue number 2081) 0n 26th October 1973.............TAATM failed to get anywhere in the British charts. Four or five months later, the A- and B-sides were flipped around so the JJ was pushed as the principal track over TAATM (same label and catalogue number).

Hope that may help a little Ivo.
Unsospero

Full Real Name: Graham Wyld

Postby Teflon » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:57 am

Unsospero wrote:Vic Rusts Shads Recording Catalogue says:
"TAATM was backed with JJ and released as a single on the EMI label (catalogue number 2081) 0n 26th October 1973.............TAATM failed to get anywhere in the British charts. Four or five months later, the A- and B-sides were flipped around so the JJ was pushed as the principal track over TAATM (same label and catalogue number).

That makes sense. When I was at school, I remember hearing Jungle jam, and went out and bought he single. I was always under the impression that JJ was the "A" side, and was quite surprised to learn in later years that TAATM was the "A" side. Presumably I bought it when JJ was being promoted as the "A" side.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby andykombi » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:30 am

I would have thought years away would have made a great single
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:28 am

andykombi wrote:I would have thought years away would have made a great single

It was a B-side under the title of "John And Mary" by John Farrar, released in 1971 in Australia.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby alewis41 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:58 pm

Teflon wrote:
Unsospero wrote:Vic Rusts Shads Recording Catalogue says:

That makes sense. When I was at school, I remember hearing Jungle jam, and went out and bought he single. I was always under the impression that JJ was the "A" side, and was quite surprised to learn in later years that TAATM was the "A" side. Presumably I bought it when JJ was being promoted as the "A" side.

Cliff

Yep same for me. Particularly as they performed JJ on the Cilla Black show around that time.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby drakula63 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:02 pm

Rockin' With Curly Leads is an utterly BRILLIANT album. I played it (for the 10068th time) a few nights ago. I think it's their best album. However... I think they made a HUGE mistake with the singles and promotion.

Years Away,
Rockin With Curly Leads and
Jumpin' Jack Input
would have been the best choices for singles. Also, can you imagine how much they might have gained from an appearance on The Old Grey Whistle Test, perhaps playing Gutbucket and Wide Mouthed Frog.

I like TAATM and JJ... but I don't think either had '1973 Hit Single' written all over them. Or '1974' come to that.

Having said all that, I reckon that if they'd put lyrics to it, then Turn Around and Touch me could have been a huge hit song for Olivia Newton-John.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:18 pm

I think you may be right in terms of mistakes on the singles choices. Many tracks were far superior. It's maybe their heaviest album.
Oddly, it was released at the end of 1973 but only popped into the top 50 for one week in April 1974. Must have been a burst of promotion.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Next

Return to The Shadows