If there had been an album in 1991 /2

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: If there had been an album in 1991 /2

Postby Fenderman » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:16 pm

The should have sat down and tried to write an entire album by themselves. They had done it before. Or maybe draft in a few songwriters to help. Maybe a mixture of instrumentals and a few vocal tracks. If done right it would have sold well.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:17 pm

Fenderman wrote:The should have sat down and tried to write an entire album by themselves. They had done it before. Or maybe draft in a few songwriters to help. Maybe a mixture of instrumentals and a few vocal tracks. If done right it would have sold well.

The Shadows have indeed done that with the "Guardian Angel" album from 1984. Of the eleven tracks, ten were original of which four were self-written and six written for them. It didn't do as well as the previous albums, so the next album "Moonlight Shadows" consisted of only covers. By the time "Reflection" was released in 1990, Hank had lived in Australia for almost four years and there wouldn't have been a lot of time to write new material together and the record company wouldn't have allowed them to record mainly own compositions for a new album.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby bgohara » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:50 pm

I've heard people say that they didn't like the latter Polydor albums - yet Steppin had 3 Group originals and also Farewell My Lovely by Pierre Teodori - and the covers on that album are generally (imho) very good. For me, far more enjoyable than Guardian Angel

As for the question posed by the OP - essentially a few hits from the previous 12-18 months - Everything I do definitely, and definitely no Jessica (apparently it had been suggested a number of times but Bruce vetoed it, I seem to remember hearing)
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Fenderman » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:51 am

I actually prefer the Steppin album to Reflection. Both Shoba and Farwell my lovely remain favourites to this day although i wasn't keen on them doing hits by Whitney Housten or Belinda Carlisle.
Fenderman

Postby iefje » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:46 am

bgohara wrote:For me, far more enjoyable than Guardian Angel

Because it was kind of different, I very much like the "Guardian Angel" album.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:28 pm

Yeah Guardian Angel isn't a bad album. Shame it flopped.
Fenderman

Postby drakula63 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:52 pm

It would have been just like 'Reflection'.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby howarddobson » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:01 pm

Is it true that Guardian Angel was top 10 in New Zealand? Interesting that it sold well there.

Thé be never actually listened to it - but as a PR person I don’t like the cover as it’s not at all obvious you’re walking passed a Shads album.

Ive been saving some Shads albums so I occasionally have a new one to listen to.

One thing - I think Robbie Williams’ Angels would have been a great song for the Shads to cover. Some nice twangy bits. But as it’s from 97 it wouldn’t have been on an early 90s album.
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Postby andykombi » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:05 pm

There could have been a tour to promote the album .
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Previous

Return to The Shadows