If there had been an album in 1991 /2

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

If there had been an album in 1991 /2

Postby jfenn78 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:37 am

What would have been on it? Possibly some of the original material used on Into The Light?. Everything I Do (I Do It For You) would have been included beyond a shadow of a doubt. So for argument's sake, call it 'Themes And Dreams', the next offical title issued by Polydor, and released in November 1991, Based on the previous LPS and the choice of source material regarding familiarity, I reckon it would have featured amongst others:

maybe 4 originals Moontalk, Into The Night +2
Everything I Do (I Do It For You) - impossible not to as it has just dominated the chart all year
and amongst the recent chart or familiar material

The One And Only
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
something by Queen as a tribute to Freddie - most likely These Are The Days of Our Lives
Wind Of Change? no more a suprise than doing Survivor
Crying In The Rain - obvious choice to revisit as covered by A-Ha in 1990 - Reflection had 3 90s versions of 60s hits
an ill advised stab at a Stock Aitken Waterman number? I Just Don't HaveThe Heart would be the obvious
'Suddenly' the wedding theme from Neighbours, seems like it fits.
'Venus' could potentially work as a vintage sounding Shads instro
Show Me Heaven
Black Velvet
It Must Have Been Love
would they dare have a stab at 'Nessun Dorma'?
if it were released a few months later it might include 'Sleeping Satellite'

Making no comenton the quality or lack thereof of any of those works, but what I believe based on familiarity, contemporaneousness, chart position and appeal to casual buyers of Shadows LPS as well as the overall makeup of previous records. Thought it might be mildly diverting debate :)

edit 'Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt' was clearly a missed oportunity by Polydor

Also they could have capitalised on the improved market for male vocals' by dusting off 'It's Too Late' which might have found some radio play :?:
jfenn78

Full Real Name: james fenn

Re: If there had been an album in 1991 /2

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:05 pm

It is possible that certain familiar tracks would have been recorded by The Shadows, which have appeared on Hank's "Into The Light" album from 1992. The same happened back in 1968/1969. The Shadows, at that time consisting of Hank, Brian and John Rostill (and later also Alan Hawkshaw) decided to record an album of film themes. The only ones recorded and finished were "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" (an A-side in 1969) and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" (a track on the 1997 compilation album "The Shadows At Abbey Road"). Other tracks that were considered (possibly "Lara's Theme" and "The Big Country") were eventually recorded and released by Hank for his first solo album "Hank Marvin" from 1969.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:33 am

I suspect the original tracks Hank wrote for Into the light were probably written after he signed his solo deal with Polydor so unlikely they would have appeared on a new Shadows album (he announced he was taking 1991 off) Had they released a new album it would have probably consisted of covers.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:43 am

Fenderman wrote:I suspect the original tracks Hank wrote for Into the light were probably written after he signed his solo deal with Polydor so unlikely they would have appeared on a new Shadows album (he announced he was taking 1991 off) Had they released a new album it would have probably consisted of covers.

Mostly covers I guess. Even for their last couple of studio albums, The Shadows were allowed to include some of their own compositions.
iefje

Postby JimN » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:22 pm

Even for their last couple of studio albums, The Shadows were allowed to include some of their own compositions.

I don't think there are any on "Reflection" (other than for those included within the Shadowmix medley).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:22 pm

Steppin' had a few - one of my all time favourites is on there. The track Shoba written by Hank. Great track.
Fenderman

Postby iefje » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:55 am

JimN wrote:Even for their last couple of studio albums, The Shadows were allowed to include some of their own compositions.

I don't think there are any on "Reflection" (other than for those included within the Shadowmix medley).

You're right.
iefje

Postby iefje » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:56 am

Fenderman wrote:Steppin' had a few - one of my all time favourites is on there. The track Shoba written by Hank. Great track.

Yes, I agree, it is one of my favourite tracks too.
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:04 am

I wish they had continued for a few more albums but seems there was internal issues that we weren't aware of at the time. Their last album Reflection went platinum.
Fenderman

Postby howarddobson » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:55 am

I think one problem was that the pop era had ended and there were fewer tracks the Shads could cover in the same fashion. Their albums were like a NOW compilation of the year’s hits and with so many House and dance tracks around they couldn’t repeat the same formula.

Hank addressed this eventually by having different themes - movies, Buddy Holly, Cliff
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Next

Return to The Shadows