Riding a bike

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Riding a bike

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:52 am

Moderne wrote:
Bruce listed 'cycling' as his greatest kick in The Shadows by Themselves book which Royston Ellis wrote. I would guess that learning to ride a bike would have been a 'rite of passage' which most kids would have gone through - and probably still go through now. The sequence in the film has a definite 'on location' feel to it - as opposed to the obvious 'in the studio' feel of the Bachelor Boy section...IMHO!

On the two wheeled theme, and maybe anticipating the later 'mod' culture of the mid-60s, our heroes adopted the Lambretta as an early form of transport around the capital (cf. the legendary 1959 summer outing to the Six Bells pub in Ruislip!). In his book, Bruce describes undertaking an overnight scooter expedition to Newcastle, without the benefit of any protective clothing... I've often wondered if he attempted the return journey by the same means!!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Fenderman » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:58 pm

I just looked and that pub is still there!
Probably changed a lot since 1959 i would expect.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:27 pm

Fenderman wrote:I just looked and that pub is still there!
Probably changed a lot since 1959 i would expect.

Apparently, following five years of closure, the refurbished pub (Grade II listed) reopened in 2018 as the Arens Bar & Grill (at the Six Bells). No real ale available!!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Previous

Return to The Shadows