Has Hank been ever-present?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Has Hank been ever-present?

Postby captainhaddock » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:26 pm

I know that throughout the Shadows history, Bruce Welch, Brian Bennett and John Rostill have for reasons of illness been replaced by substitutes so has there ever been an occasion when Hank has been replaced by a substitute or has he been ever present.
captainhaddock

Re: Has Hank been ever-present?

Postby Pedro » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:37 pm

I seem to remember someone stood in for him in the very early 60s whilst they were at the Liverpool Empire.
I volunteered but they would not pay me enough :lol: :lol: :roll:
Pedro

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:20 pm

At least he hasn't been the subject of one of those urban myths where the real guy dies but they hush it up and replace him with a lookalike :lol:
Mikey

Postby George Geddes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Wasn't it Bruce who took ill at the Empire, with Peter Carter standing in? JimN was there...

As far as I know Hank has never had a stand-in.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby cockroach » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:39 am

With due respects to guys like Phil Kelly and Colin Pryce- Jones etc , it would surely be a case of "No Hank = Not really the Shadows"

Even Bruce has not been indispensible at odd times due to illness etc. But I suspect Hank may be the only one that they really couldn't do without...
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Pedro » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 am

George Geddes wrote:Wasn't it Bruce who took ill at the Empire, with Peter Carter standing in? JimN was there...

As far as I know Hank has never had a stand-in.

George

I think you are right. It was over 45 years ago.
Pedro

Postby Martin Page » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 am

I know The Hunters substituted for The Shads in backing Cliff on one occasion - yes, I know that's not quite the same...

Martin.
Martin Page

Postby Frank Marvin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 pm

A very interesting question. I think if he has been ever present, it's a remarkable achievement. Over fifty years of never missing a gig or recording session - amazing! I wonder if anyone else could claim that.
Frank Marvin

Postby JimTidmarsh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Well, he has missed a gig !!

I went to the Finsbury Park Astoria during the 1969 tour with Cliff, after Alan Hawkshaw had replaced Bruce.

John Rostill announced that Hank couldn't be with the Shads that night since he was suffering from 'flu. As a result, the Shads set consisted of only three numbers, each featuring one of the remaining three members - Theme from Exodus (Alan Hawkshaw), Little B (Brian) and Nivram (John).

I seem to remember reading somewhere that not everything was harmonious during that tour and have always wondered if Hank's absence was 'political'!
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby George Geddes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Ah, I had forgotten about that Finsbury Park show... I suppose it does suggest Hank is irreplaceable?

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Next

Return to The Shadows