Marvin, Welch & Farrar: search for venue information

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marvin, Welch & Farrar: search for venue information

Postby iefje » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:28 pm

I am looking for some information about Marvin, Welch & Farrar's concert tours. I know about their European Tour with Cliff Richard between March 26th and April 8th, 1971, but I would like to know about two shows in particular, which are from UK tours. There was a show or maybe more shows in Bournemouth in late 1970 or 1971 and one (or more) in Exeter in 1972. Does anyone know the exact venues and dates of these shows, as well as who appeared with them on stage on bass guitar and drums?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Marvin, Welch & Farrar: search for venue information

Postby UlrichS » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:26 pm

Hi Ivo,

This is what I know:

Programme: The Johnny Wiltshire Sound - Larry Grayson introduction - The Spirit Of Progress – Larry Grayson - Marvin, Welch & Farrar – interval - Cliff Richard with orchestra under direction of Brian Bennett
Fr 20.11.1970 Bournemouth (Winter Gardens) – 18.10 & 20.30

Programme: Olivia Newton-John, Marvin, Welch & Farrar, Cliff Richard with The Brian Bennett Orchestra
We 24.11.1971 Bournemouth (Winter Gardens)
We 01.12.1971 Exeter (ABC)

I hope this is of help.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:19 am

I saw the show at the Odeon, Edinburgh on 8th November 1972
It featured Cliff Richard and Olivia Newton-John
Marvin, Welch and Farrar’s slot included Keep the Customer Satisfied
Orchestra directed by Brian Bennett
Bass guitar Alan Tarney
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:33 pm

Thank you Ulrich and Iain for your information.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:40 pm

The Cliff Richard Show
With guest stars
Marvin, Welch & Farrar
Olivia Newton-John
Plus Full Supporting Co.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 22nd 1971.
The DOME, BRIGHTON
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Gatwick1946 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:55 pm

I saw Marvin Welch and Farrar at the Brighton Dome in November 1971 (I think that was the year). They were supported by ONJ, plus a small group who opened the show.
I recall that the first song by MW&F was "Down on the Corner". Hank, Bruce and John were playing acoustic guitars and the blend of their three voices was striking.Hank switched to his white Baldwin Marvin guitar for the Shadows tunes.

It was a full audience, and it was clear that when they did a few old shadows hits (Dance On etc) these familiar tunes got a greater reception.

My fiance (we are still married!) liked the show, but I think she did not realise that this was to be the first of many years, when the Shadows toured and we saw them at least twice on every tour ( she was a fan of Tom Jones and Dusty Springfield). My old Austin A40 broke down at Sayers Common on the way back and my father came and towed us back to Gatwick - happy days!

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Moderne » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:42 pm

Down On The Corner was one of the songs they sang with Cliff on the It's Cliff Richard TV shows. I wish Cliff had recorded an LP with MWF around that time; what an album that would have been! Cliff's version of Fire and Rain (in the Getaway With Cliff August Bank Holiday Special -1971) is quite something...

Iain Purdon wrote:I saw the show at the Odeon, Edinburgh on 8th November 1972

Are you sure about the year, Iain? I think Bruce dropped out of the trio earlier in 1972 following the ending of his engagement to Olivia.

I remember David Cook (I posted about him recently) said that he thought Help Me Onto Your Wagon featured the best harmonies ever! My question is...was this a finished recording from the 'lost' third MWF LP, or was it a recording from the Marvin & Farrar LP which Hank and John invited Bruce to sing on with them...? We're never likely to know...unless Abbey Road records can be tracked down...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby UlrichS » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:58 pm

Moderne wrote: ...

Are you sure about the year, Iain? I think Bruce dropped out of the trio earlier in 1972 following the ending of his engagement to Olivia.

The date and location is correct, but MWF are not in the program which was Brian Marshall - Greater Union - Olivia Newton-John and Cliff Richard accompanied by an orchestra under the direction of Brian Bennett.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby alewis41 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:27 pm

Moderne wrote:Down On The Corner was one of the songs they sang with Cliff on the It's Cliff Richard TV shows. I wish Cliff had recorded an LP with MWF around that time; what an album that would have been! Cliff's version of Fire and Rain (in the Getaway With Cliff August Bank Holiday Special -1971) is quite something...

Hey Clive. Yes, agree about Cliff's version of Fire and Rain. Excellent guitar work from Cliff! There's also a 1974 TV version with Cliff plus Labi Siffre and Pearly Gates.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:38 am

UlrichS wrote:
Moderne wrote: ...

The date and location is correct, but MWF are not in the program which was Brian Marshall - Greater Union - Olivia Newton-John and Cliff Richard accompanied by an orchestra under the direction of Brian Bennett.

Thanks gentlemen, I now realise I saw them twice - which fits my memory better! Everything else I said was about the 1971 Edinburgh gig, apart from Alan Tarney. I know I saw him in 1972, but I don’t know if it was him in 1971.

Thanks for the forensics!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Return to The Shadows