John Rostill's first Shadows recording session: 60 years ago

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

John Rostill's first Shadows recording session: 60 years ago

Postby iefje » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:29 am

Another milestone: today marks the 60th anniversary of John Rostill's first recording session as a member of The Shadows or in any case, the first to produce recordings that have been used for release. On this day, Cliff Richard & The Shadows recorded the single "I'm The Lonely One"/"Watch What You Do With My Baby". Bruce was absent during this period, so Hank recorded the rhythm guitar parts. There is a piano present on both tracks. I presume Norrie Paramor played it on the A-side, while Hank may have played it on the B-side, as there is no lead guitar part on that track, only rhythm guitar.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: John Rostill's first Shadows recording session: 60 years

Postby StuartD » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:15 pm

Yes it was What a great player he was and Tomorrow, 26th, mark fifty years since his sad death Still missed

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:40 pm

Four days later. on 27th November, John joined Hank and Brian for their first stab at Razzmataz. This version was not used on the “Shadow Music” LP but did appear on the later compilation “The Shadows at Abbey Road”. John, Brian and Hank are all listed as co-composers, so this is probably the first Rostill composition they recorded.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:17 am

Iain Purdon wrote:Four days later. on 27th November, John joined Hank and Brian for their first stab at Razzmataz. This version was not used on the “Shadow Music” LP but did appear on the later compilation “The Shadows at Abbey Road”. John, Brian and Hank are all listed as co-composers, so this is probably the first Rostill composition they recorded.

I wonder where "Razzmataz" was recorded for in the first place. I don't think the group considered it A-side material, but perhaps suitable for a B-side or an album track. Maybe it was considered for the "Dance With The Shadows" album. Regarding the re-recording with Bruce which appeared on the "Shadow Music" album, I once saw a recording date from early 1964, the period during which most of the "Dance With The Shadows" album was recorded, but later on I learned about a recording date of 1965. Listening to that particular version, the balance and placement of the instruments is identical to the tracks "Dean's Theme" and "Prelude In E Major", which were both recorded on February the 28th, 1965, so that recording date might also be the one for the re-recording of "Razzmataz".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to The Shadows