OT: Another Jeff Beck CD Reissue...

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

OT: Another Jeff Beck CD Reissue...

Postby JimN » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Not very connected with The Shadows (though Jet Harris gets a mention in the sleeve notes as a one-time potential member of the Jeff Beck Group), I thought I'd bring to your attention - for the benefit of the several Beck fans known to inhabit this site - this recent purchase.

A couple of years ago, the "Beck-Ola" album was re-re-issued on CD with bonus tracks which included Jeffery's (then-unissued) version of Hank's song Throw Down A Line. I now find out that Jeff's first LP ("Truth") has been re-issued - as long ago as 2005 - with bonus tracks of all of his first three EMI/Columbia singles from 1967/1968. They were Hi Ho Silver Lining / Beck's Bolero, Tallyman / Rock My Plimsoul and Love Is Blue / I've Been Drinking, and the b-sides of the second and third pairings featured vocals by someone called Rod Stewart.

The "new" CD version lists all ten tracks from the original LP (including a mock-stereo rendering of Beck's Bolero), followed by eight bonus tracks which include AVs of two of the album tracks and both sides of each of the three singles. The real news is that, at long last, the correct single version of Rock My Plimsoul (slower, funkier and IMHO better) is used here. Previous collections have always used the LP version, which is faster, less funky and not-so-good. Oh, and Hi-Ho Silver Lining (the song Jeff loves to pretend to hate) is presented in true stereo, as are the two Rod Stewart vocal b-sides. OK, Tallyman and Love Is Blue are in mono (as is Beck's Bolero when presented as a bonus track), but you can't get a true stereo mix if it doesn't exist, I suppose...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Truth-Remastered-Jeff-Beck/dp/B0007XH5OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266522803&sr=1-1

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of the Whiny Guitars With Humbucking Pickups Movement. Normal service will now be resumed.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: OT: Another Jeff Beck CD Reissue...

Postby Mikey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 pm

[quote="JimN

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of the Whiny Guitars With Humbucking Pickups Movement. Normal service will now be resumed.

JN[/quote]

We the public are most grateful :)
Mikey

Re: OT: Another Jeff Beck CD Reissue...

Postby ecca » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:06 pm

I bought this last year and it's brilliant.
I remember buying the cassette of Truth !
How many years back was that ?
ecca

Return to The Shadows