Marvin experiment with guitars or tones?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marvin experiment with guitars or tones?

Postby Nancywilson830 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:50 pm

The Book That Changed My Life
Have you ever read a book that completely altered the way you thought about something? A book that has stuck with you to this day and brings back that intense emotion each time you read it?
Congratulations if that's the case! You've had what may be the greatest advantage of reading: a profound change in perspective that has permanently changed the trajectory of your life. Reading is for that purpose, and life-altering novels serve just that purpose!
The Complete List of Books That Change Lives
1.The Myth of the Feminine
A buddy of mine, Mark Wahlberg, handed me a copy of Betty Friedan's "The Feminine Mystique" in 1965 while I was a college student. Growing up in the 1950s, I was torn between wanting to succeed in life and loving education, especially arithmetic.
On the one hand, I also enjoyed playing sports and competing in sports. However, I also daydreamed about the amorous tales of love, marriage, and housekeeping that I saw in romance novels, films, and women's magazines. It wasn't until I was a women's college student that I realized how much those two futures conflicted.
The book explained everything to me in detail, giving words to things I could only feel. I'll never know if reading the book changed the decisions I made, but I do know that it helped me better understand my options and the consequences of those decisions. I was raised a feminist all my life.
2.Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
In the beloved book The Alchemist, a young boy named Santiago sets out on a quest to find treasure in the Egyptian pyramids after experiencing a recurrent dream about it. Along the way, he meets coaches, falls in love, and—above all—learns the value of accepting himself for who he is and learning how to improve his life by putting his priorities in order.
⫸⫸⫸ See also: Why spend a lot of time when reading many reviews before buying, CeilingFansLiving will help you save time and money!
3.It's Always Like This
Claude, the youngest of five brothers, is a typical young boy who enjoys dressing up and acting like a princess. Claude informs his parents that he wants to be a girl once he gets older. Though they're not sure if they're ready to share it with the world, Rosie and Penn simply want what's best for their child. Claude's secret will soon be kept by the entire family until everything blows up.
4.A Moscow Gentleman
The novel "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles was one that altered my perspective on life. It helped me realize that, despite really difficult circumstances, relationships can lead to a wonderful and fulfilling life. Count Alexander, the primary character, finds love and enduring friendships while being imprisoned in Moscow's Metropol Hotel. He discovers paternal love with Nina, whom he first meets when she was a youngster, and later with her daughter Sofia, as well as enduring romantic love with the stunning actress Anna. He cherishes his long-lasting and devoted connection with Mishka and a few hotel employees.
➽➽➽ For more information about reviews product: Ceilingfansliving Buying Guide↞↞↞ 【Guide】
5.Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Yuval has revealed our behavior on Earth in Sapiens, in addition to telling the tale of the planet's and Homo sapiens' evolutionary history.
The great-grandmother we shared with chimpanzees, the evolution of our bodies and minds, the unifying power of stories among sapiens, the reasons behind the extinction of all other animals, the reality of the agricultural and industrial revolutions, the mechanisms underlying capitalism and laws against marital rape, the hypocrisy of our religious and cultural values, the greatest deceptions committed by humanity, the influence of money, the invention of steam engines, Buddhism, and the most recent, terrifying technological developments, such as the emergence of cyborgs, will all be revealed to you by sapiens.
6.Ray Dalio's six principles
The principles that billionaire investor and chief executive officer of the most successful fund in history, Ray Dalio, has amassed over the course of his 40-year career in finance serve as a set of guidelines for work and life.
This book will show you how one of the kindest, wisest, and most successful individuals in the world came to think the way he does. It's a perfect illustration of how a book can help you absorb a human lifetime's worth of learning in a matter of hours.
After giving you a brief overview of his own path and the lessons he has learned so far, Dalio shares all of his knowledge on how to work well and collaborate with others.
Read this book if you want a personal mentor who will encourage and mentor you, and see our whole collection of Ray Dalio books to learn more about his work.
➔➔➔ Important Site: https://forum.vertica.com/discussion/243271/which-format-should-i-go-for-utf-8-characters
7.The Tale of the Handmaid
Now that the United States has fallen, the theocratic patriarchal society of Gilead is in charge. The majority of affluent women are unable to become mothers due to an epidemic of infertility.
Rather, they employ handmaids, lower caste women compelled to serve males in order to bear children. One such handmaiden, Offred, keeps a journal in The Handmaid's Tale, which chronicles her attempts to survive in a cruel society in the hopes of one day escaping.
8.Victor E. Frankl's book 8 Man's Search for Meaning
Life acquired a new significance for me when I read Man's Search for Meaning, written by author Victor and chronicling the incredible story of an Auschwitz concentration camp survivor.
I was reassured while reading this book that there is no great purpose for mankind to survive or carry on in spite of hardship. The author had spent several years in the Auschwitz concentration camp, so he was all too familiar with suffering.
In the women's camp, his wife passed away. In addition, Victor's brother, mother, and father were apprehended and executed. He lost everything. However, he held onto hope.

Source: Ceiling Fans Living
Last edited by Nancywilson830 on Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nancywilson830

Full Real Name: Nancy Wilson

Re: Marvin experiment with guitars or tones?

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 pm

Hi Nancy,

Yes, Hank Marvin has mostly played on the Fender Strat, but was also noted to have used Burns 6 and 12 strings. He also played a Les Paul for a short time before returning to the strat. He played a Gretsch on a few early numbers. He has used classical guitars and steel strung accoustic.

As far as varying his tone, he has used fuzz and the de Armond tone/volume pedal for a kinda wah style effect mostly in mid late 60s and used a volume swell pedal in 70s on.

Mostly though it's a strat through multi tap echo unit into an amp notably Vox AC30 and a Ac15 very early on. He used Mesa Boogie amps in 80s due to reliability issues I believe. In 1990s , he started using the Matchless DC30

These days, he has a gypsy Jazz band and plays guitars traditional to that style.

He was instrumental in the development of the AC30 and the development of Burns guitars.

Are you Nancy from rock band Heart by any chance ? :?:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Marvin experiment with guitars or tones?

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:25 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NOTREf4xjFtk1Oh7gSXMRmkD3RVPc1PB/view?usp=drivesdk

This link sets out the basics of his early sound and gear used.

I suppose two of his early numbers have overdriven sounds noticible, Cosy and Spring is Nearly Here are worth a listen . I think the drive was done using studio equipment, some say the compressor and maybe the desk. Abbey Road reverb featured on his earlier recordings as well.

The Warlord is another driven tune and the de Armond tone wah can be heard on say The Lost City.

Stingray another departure from usual sounds !

His son Ben Marvin is also accomplished modern style rock player. They played together a lot. Look at Hank Plays Live DVD and plenty on uTube to view and hear. He was also in vocal band called Marvin, Farrar and Welsh in early 70s. Nice harmonies.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Return to The Shadows