The Shadows live in Japan 1967

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows live in Japan 1967

Postby JimN » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:11 pm

John Boyd wrote:Greetings from NZ.
Just enjoying this bootleg CD once more. It certainly sounds as though it was recorded very 'professionally', probably for commercial release.
Maybe Dusty will discover it and come up with another of their quality archival releases.
JB

Thanks, John.

So is it already in fairly wide circulation? And has been released as a thoroughgoing bootleg CD ?

It must be if there is a copy or two in NZ...

I feel better about it already! :-)
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:48 pm

Maybe Columbia were planning a Shadows live album and recorded the show? Or maybe it was to be a Japan only release.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby abstamaria » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:23 am

Just to put a link to an earlier thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9858
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Mark Daniels » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:53 am

I did hear the story that it was considered for release on the EMI Gold label some time back but after handing out a few Cdr to the Shads & management it got shelved?
Last edited by Mark Daniels on Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Mark Daniels

Full Real Name: Mark Daniels

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:51 am

Fenderman wrote:Maybe Columbia were planning a Shadows live album and recorded the show? Or maybe it was to be a Japan only release.

According to Malcolm Campbell in his website, that was the case!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby iefje » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:49 am

I'm very much interested in The Shadows' concert recording from June 24th, 1967. I still hope that a record label will pick it up for release in the near future.
Last edited by iefje on Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:51 pm

Were Norrie Paramor and Peter Vince also present on location during the recording of this show?
iefje

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:28 pm

I think that sharing recordings such as this particular one is fraught with difficulty and risk.

It isn't like a live Radio Luxembourg version of FBI recorded from AM radio onto a 3.75ips reel-to-reel through a crystal microphone in 1961.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby abstamaria » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:57 am

I asked two Japanese friends how the Shadows and their 1967 concerts were received in Japan. They are both in their mid-70s, one a guitarist and the other a drummer in their amateur retro bands. They said the Shadows and the concerts were not popular in Japan. The guitarist said that he liked them actually, but he was in the minority. (He also prefers Bob Bogle to Nokie Edwards, so is a distinct outlier in Japan.)

By 1967, the Ventures had taken firm hold in Japan with a huge, loyal following. They were the “Beloved Invaders,” known for the Mosrites that introduced electric guitars to Japan (including my two friends) and loud, aggressive sound. The Japanese loved them and would for decades after.

Around the world in 1967, the Beatles were icons, with hits that year as Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, and so on. The charts also had Light My Fire, Ode to Billie Joe, Whiter Shade of Pale, To Sir With Love, I’m a Believer, Something Stupid …. New music.

The Shadows 1967 concert is important to us fans, and I would love to have a very clear CD to listen to carefully. (after reading this thread, I watched the videos on YouTube.) I think of the Shadows’ repertoire though and wonder how the pieces would have fared against the backdrop I described above. I was a teenager in 1967 with no particular loyalties and wonder now which music I would have preferred, had I heard that concert. Our conclusions would likely differ.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby iefje » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:32 pm

abstamaria wrote:By 1967, the Ventures had taken firm hold in Japan with a huge, loyal following. They were the “Beloved Invaders,” known for the Mosrites that introduced electric guitars to Japan (including my two friends) and loud, aggressive sound. The Japanese loved them and would for decades after.

That's probably also the reason why they have almost exclusively toured Japan since 1965. Almost all of their live albums have been recorded there and new studio albums also largely get issued there. I do wonder if The Ventures were as popular in other countries around the world as they were/are in Japan.
iefje

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows