Hank's album "All Alone With Friends"

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank's album "All Alone With Friends"

Postby iefje » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:44 pm

Hank's fourth solo album "All Alone With Friends" contains four original compositions. The other six tracks were written by other composers. Does anyone know if these were especially written for Hank or were some already recorded by other artists?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Hank's album "All Alone With Friends"

Postby Moderne » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:25 pm

Where Do You Go When You Dream? was a 1981 release by Anne Murray (whose big hit was You Needed Me). Stardom was written by 'G. Kenny' who I presume is Gerard Kenny - but I don't know if he ever recorded it. Not sure about the rest of the songs... I doubt whether any of them were 'especially written for Hank' because at the time (early '80s) he wasn't a high-profile vocalist. I imagine that Christopher Neil (the producer) 'rounded up the songs' and then, with Hank, picked them from a short list. Maybe the LP was more successful in other countries?

By the way...I was listening to Little Yellow Aeroplane the other day (the John Rostill-penned Leapy Lee song) ...what a lovely song! Did you know that it got to No. 1 in South Africa! Was it offered to Cliff...I couldn't help wondering...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:12 pm

Additionally, Don't Answer, was issued on a single by the co-writer, Mark Haley in 1981...

https://www.45cat.com/record/rca112

The Hawk And The Dove was subsequently covered by the French singer, Julien Clerc, on his 1984 eponymous album...

https://www.discogs.com/release/2190973 ... lien-Clerc

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby alewis41 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:14 pm

Moderne wrote:Where Do You Go When You Dream? was a 1981 release by Anne Murray (whose big hit was You Needed Me). Stardom was written by 'G. Kenny' who I presume is Gerard Kenny - but I don't know if he ever recorded it. Not sure about the rest of the songs... I doubt whether any of them were 'especially written for Hank' because at the time (early '80s) he wasn't a high-profile vocalist. I imagine that Christopher Neil (the producer) 'rounded up the songs' and then, with Hank, picked them from a short list. Maybe the LP was more successful in other countries?

By the way...I was listening to Little Yellow Aeroplane the other day (the John Rostill-penned Leapy Lee song) ...what a lovely song! Did you know that it got to No. 1 in South Africa! Was it offered to Cliff...I couldn't help wondering...

I agree with Clive, I doubt the songs were written for Hank. There are some well known American songwriters who are unlikely to have had a connection with him.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby iefje » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:06 pm

Thank you all for the information. The reason for me asking this, is because I am writing a review on the 2016 UK 5 CD box "Guitar Solo - His Complete Solo Recordings 1982-1995", which I have recently bought.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to The Shadows