Band Names

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Band Names

Postby Simon Underwood » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Having recently fallen foul of Duplicate Band Name Syndrome (Shazam!), I was wondering if there could be any kind of name register for bands related to our favourite type of music. I know there’s a general band name register out there on the web, but I was thinking of something more specific.

Out of deference to Ian McCutcheon’s band, we’ve decided to change our name, but given the narrow focus of the music, i.e. we’re trying to find something Shads related, anything half decent that anyone comes up with usually seems to have already been taken, and we don’t want to have to go through this process again. If there was some way that things could easily be checked, it would help us and anyone else trying to find a name.

Anyone got any thoughts/ ideas?

The rest of the band insisted that I go back on my medication after coming up with names like ‘The Wonderful Land Rovers’ and ‘I Could Easily Fall Over’.

Simon
Simon Underwood

Full Real Name: Simon Underwood

Re: Band Names

Postby George Geddes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Well, we had a lot of head-scratching and beard stroking until we came up with 'Out of the Shadows' [ Having previously been 'The Echoes' and then Guitar Magik ] - we were getting posters done for a gig when I found another band of that name! So, we became 'Into the Shadows' and I thought I'd be smart and register a domain name for our website [when I design it...]

It hasn't stopped another un-related band using that name and advertising gigs on eBay!!!

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby David Martin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Suggest you check at http://www.bandname.com and then register your result
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby David Martin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Interestingly... ShadZam! has not been registered... neither has Out of The Shadows... or

Drifting Shadows

Shadow Drifters

The Shadow Line (title of a Joseph Conrad novel which crucified my interest in literature aged 13!)

Nick Pilchard and The Shadufs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadoof)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby ShadsDrums » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:36 pm

The site is completely out of date. Rather do the search on the Wikipedia - it appears much more up to date.

Regards
Chris
ShadsDrums

Full Real Name: Chris Kenward

Postby ecca » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 pm

The Shaggows
ecca

Postby Steve Parish » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Oh Ecca, you are naughty.... but I like you!
Steve Parish

Postby petercreasey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:18 pm

ShadsDrums wrote:The site is completely out of date. Rather do the search on the Wikipedia - it appears much more up to date.

Regards
Chris

Wikipedia doesn't include Life Story Which we registered on http://www.bandname.com/ some years ago. Surely the point here is to register the name so that 'ownership' can be proved should the need arise.
I realise that we are not on Wikipedia because we aren't known to many people but we don't want to have to change at any time in the future. Paul is a 'subsitance drummer' ( who can play a bit) and a new logo on the bass drum would seriously dent the holiday budget!! :D :D :D
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Paul Creasey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Blo**y Right, our Kid!!
SWMBO has now decided that the holiday budget has to stretch to include Lindisfarne (the place, not the Band!) over Easter, as well as Malta in a couple of weeks time.
"Subsistence Drumming" is a NECESSITY, not a free choice!
Sees ya' at York on Sunday.
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby stratmantd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Who are bandname.com to say that they are the official registrars of band names?

If they are then why do they demand $12 to register a name and not have a dropdown list so that you can get the charge in your local currency?

How robust is their checking of band names?

In 1974, my chums (including Malc(Shad1)) and I went by the name of Prism and have done so on and off ever since. This was slightly before bandname.com came about. There is a Canadian band called Prism but to be honest, I don't think that either of us clashes with the other. However, would bandname.com stop Malc and I registering Prism as our name if the Canadians have already registered with them? I believe that we used the name before the other lot (and probably after others too) but I have only just heard of bandname.com today. So, who has the right to use the name?

My answer, both of us. This site is a money-making enterprise that should not be given the time of day and certainly not a registration fee. If they are totally legit then why have they not told the American band calling themselves The Shadows that they cannot use the name?

Please don't allow legitimise these chancers by paying to register with them; it's meaningless and they have no power other than to disallow a band name to be registered with themselves.
stratmantd

Next

Return to The Shadows