Stack it....what does it take to make a track grow on you...

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Stack it....what does it take to make a track grow on you...

Postby bgohara » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:37 pm

I noticed that Ian McCutcheon had done this track on his latest backing track CD...and I gave it a listen for the first time in a long time. I've been following the Shads now since around the time 'Steppin to' the Shadows came out - over 20 years - so I went backwards when I first became a fan, acquiring the LPs (and later, CDs) and just getting to know the music - and there are plenty of gems in there, as we all know.

But listening to Stack it just over the last day or so, I've realised just what a great track it is - so chilled out and groovy - and there's a superb guitar solo from Hank in the middle of it. Looking at the other threads on 'tracks you wish they had / hadn't recorded' - we can all see that one man's meat is another man's poison - and something like 'stack it' won't be to everyone's taste - but I think it shows that sometimes tracks grow on you through time, or something happens for you, to make them come to life. Sometimes for me, this has been hearing them played live - I remember seeing Hank play 'Find Me a Golden Street' live on tour - I loved it and 'rediscovered' the original Shads recording - and I began to fully appreciate it. I also remember this happening when I heard Bruce play 'Farewell My Lovely' with his band at Shadowmania - it was previously just a track in the middle of an album, and yet, hearing it in isolation I realised what a great tune it is.

So - just wondering - have others had similar experiences? Can you think of any Shads or Hank tracks that have just 'come to life' one day., even though you might have had them for a while?

Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Re: Stack it....what does it take to make a track grow on you...

Postby des mcneill » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi Bernard,
Yes,we all have different tastes and opinions and they do tend to change over time,- I don't know this track, maybe you could email it to me.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby Fenderman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:00 am

Stack-it was the last track credited to 'Marvin, Welch and Bennett'. It's a pretty good track and should have been a single. I like the intro before the drums kick in, great.
I have to say out of the 3 originals on 'Steppin...' my fave is 'Shoba'. A great track written by Hank.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:47 am

Hi Bernie,

Thanks to mention "Farewell My Lovely" I wrote in october 1987, and recorded in 1989 by The Shadows. For those who would be interested, you can listen to my version of this tune on this link:http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacemusicpierreteodori

Have a very pleasant sunday.

Best regards
Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Me again!

BTW I like very much Mountains Of The Moon, Shoba, Stack-It and Alone on this album

Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby Fenderman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 pm

How could i forget 'Farewell my lovely'??? That was another wonderful track. I'm going to play it now!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks Roy!

Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby Jean_Phi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Bernie and everyone

That's my first post on this forum (since the msn version)where my nickname was DanceOn.
Stack It is a very good tune like so many others !
You can hear my version here if you want. http://www.4shared.com/file/231430836/c2871b49/Stack_It_JP.html

It's not perfect but i enjoy playing it !

Regards

Jean-Philippe (Belgium)
Last edited by Jean_Phi on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jean_Phi

Postby noelford » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:56 pm

It just shows how mercurial our tastes can be. I used to dislike Peace Pipe intensley, was persuaded to learn to play it, and now think it's a beautiful piece and has become one of my favourites!
noelford

Postby Bill Bowley » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Pierre TEODORI wrote:Hi Bernie,

Thanks to mention "Farewell My Lovely" I wrote in october 1987, and recorded in 1989 by The Shadows. For those who would be interested, you can listen to my version of this tune on this link:http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacemusicpierreteodori

Have a very pleasant sunday.

Best regards
Pierre

Pierre,

Thought I would just mention that I remain as always an admirer of your talent!

Regards
Bill Bowley

Next

Return to The Shadows