Waiting at the STAGE DOOR ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Waiting at the STAGE DOOR ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Postby OLDEREK » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:41 pm

I can remember only once waiting at the stage door after a Diana Ross show years and years ago, when she did come out she never had her wig on just her own hair very tight to her head, quite a shock to see her like it.............

I know that over the years a lot of members here met while waiting at Stage Doors (after a Shads/ Hank show) and became life long friends from it.............What's your stories from outside the Stage Door.................... :D
OLDEREK

Re: Waiting at the STAGE DOOR ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:21 pm

Thae Shads always kept their wigs on whenever I saw them at the stage door . . . . . . :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:35 am

I never forgave the Beverly Sisters for not signing an autograph for me...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 am

The schoolboy that was me waited outside the Palladium stage door in 1964. John was probably already inside tuning the guitars because I saw only Brian, who walked in very fast almost before he had been noticed, Hank who stopped and was very chatty, and Bruce to whom I offered my autograph book with no pen -- I was so green I didn't realise I should have provided one! He gave me an old-fashioned look, but I got the signature just the same.
Considering what Lonnie Donegan allegedly said to Bruce when he was a schoolboy in my position, I got off very lightly!
Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Fenderman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:48 am

I waited for Hank in 2000 after his gig in Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall. Me and the group i was with waited 15 minutes but someone came out and said that Hank had already left the building. Disappointed, we all decided to go home. I've always wondered if that was just a ruse to get rid of us or if he had indeed left. So, i've still never met Hank!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Roy,
I think that it was generally true on that Millennium tour . Hank would apparently literally leave the stage and exit almost immediately into a waiting limo whilst the audience were still in the auditorium. If I recall correctly this was shortly after the tragic death of his son Paul. In previous years Hank had all the time in the world (seemingly!) which he willingly gave to waiting fans. I think that it was a genuine combination of not wishing to risk being upset by any potential questions / comments (however well meant) about his son and the fatigue which could build up as a result of not getting back to hotels until the wee small hours. So, no, you weren't being fobbed off.

Bests....Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby alewis41 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:49 am

That happened at the 2002 shows I attended as well.
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby EricB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 am

Being an Elvis fan I went to see Elvis The Concert first time it came to Belfast after the show you can imagine the thrill I got when my wife and myself managed to meet and get autograph's from the entire TCB Band as they came out of the stage door. Pity I never got Elvis' autograph, but as he is in heaven it made it just a little too difficult, maybe, one day, if I behave myself I might get that much wanted autograph
EricB

Postby David Martin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:48 am

Arpeggio wrote:Hi Roy,
I think that it was generally true on that Millennium tour . Hank would apparently literally leave the stage and exit almost immediately into a waiting limo whilst the audience were still in the auditorium. If I recall correctly this was shortly after the tragic death of his son Paul. In previous years Hank had all the time in the world (seemingly!) which he willingly gave to waiting fans. I think that it was a genuine combination of not wishing to risk being upset by any potential questions / comments (however well meant) about his son and the fatigue which could build up as a result of not getting back to hotels until the wee small hours. So, no, you weren't being fobbed off.

Bests....Rob :)

That was my experience too... Brian Goode wouldn't allow any visitors at all on that tour...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby neil2726 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 am

Going the other way I can remember seeing the Grumbleweeds at Southport and they actually set up a table by the stage door and signed autogaphs for all the waiting fans. Al Martino also came to the foyer of the theatre in Stafford and sat at a table signing and chatting to all. I dont recall any Cds or pics were on sale either!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Next

Return to The Shadows