Shades of Rock (rpm re-release)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shades of Rock (rpm re-release)

Postby drakula63 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Whilst I realise that some fans are not keen, may I recommend the 40th anniversary re-release of Shades of Rock, on CD from independent label rpm. It must be ten years now since this album was last made available on CD and it seems that it is now quite difficult to get hold of the EMI issue.

Often overlooked, I first bought this (on vinyl) in the late 70s/early 80s and, I'll admit, I wasn't too sure at first. But it grew on me and now I rate it as one of the most enjoyable albums they recorded. I certainly prefer it to the better known and more commercially successful albums they produced in the 80s.

The sleeve notes are interesting; track by track analysis and quite an in-depth overview that puts the album and the circumstances of its recording into perspective. The bass players are all named and there's even an attempt to indicate which tracks they play on. What I hadn't realised was that the album had enjoyed a kind of belated 'discovery' in the mid 90s and became quite highly regarded by devotees of a musical sub-genre known as 'loungecore'. This was news to me, but it's great to think that a Shads album has taken on a life of its own with those who are other than just Shads fans. The front cover looks slightly better than it did on the EMI release (certainly the one I have), as the contrast is better and more detail comes across. I was unsure about the inclusion of Scotch on the Socks as a bonus track, but it does actually work in this context, as it's a good example of the Shads stepping outside of their usual boundaries and experimenting with a style and sound that, for them, is unusual. Some good pictures in the booklet, including what looks like an Australian release with Bruce on the cover! All in all, I think it's well worth £7.99 of anyone's money.

And with that, I shall switch on the lava lamp, pour myself a large Cinzano Bianco and recline on my beige, corduroy sofa and chill out. Lounge-tastic.

Cheers everyone!

;)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Shades of Rock (rpm re-release)

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 am

Interesting - thanks for drawing attention to it!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 am

Australian release with Bruce on the cover? Never seen it out here, and I still look for Shads albums all the time! Only one I have seen (both LP and CD) has been the 'Bloke on the BSA in Black and White' cover. ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby David Martin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:10 am

Just had a look at the RPM site... some great re-releases, including this from Brian Bennett ... http://www.cherryred.co.uk/rpm/artists/brianbennett.php
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby drakula63 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Dave,

The Aim High album is brilliant! Bought it a couple of years ago and I couldn't recommend it highly enough! A friend of mine has the Hawkshaw album (Mo'Hawk) which I gather is rather good too. But returning to Shades of Rock...

(this may appeal to Phil J. as much as anyone),

...Just check out Brian's drumming on Get Back. It is so precise it sounds like a drum machine: just bass, snare and hi-hat all the way through and the bass drum sounds like a block of wood. Quite amazing! His drum sound varies a bit from track to track, mostly it's very BIG!!! Like I say, a great album that I really think deserves a listen.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby UlrichS » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Bill,

This is the one in question.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby hoffers » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Dave Dixon contacted me regarding this release and I suggested RPM scrap 'Scotch on the Socks' as a bonus track and include an unreleased song from the same sessions called 'High Heel Sneakers.
That obviously fell on deaf ears!!

Hoffers
hoffers

Postby Fenderman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:17 pm

High Heel Sneakers? That's a new one i haven't heard of! Why wasn't that on the 'Abbey Road' CD? There seems to be many tracks still lying in the vaults slowly rotting away!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Dave Dixon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm

hoffers wrote:Dave Dixon contacted me regarding this release and I suggested RPM scrap 'Scotch on the Socks' as a bonus track and include an unreleased song from the same sessions called 'High Heel Sneakers.
That obviously fell on deaf ears!!

Hoffers

I can assure you that the deaf ears weren't mine ;) I did pass on your suggestion and also suggested "Ridin' the Gravy Train" as an alternative if they couldn't get 'HIgh Heel Sneekers' but it seems that the disc had already been mastered before they contacted me (for suggestions on the sleeve notes).
Dave Dixon

Postby Bill Bowley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 pm

UlrichS wrote:Hi Bill,

This is the one in question.

Ulrich

Ulrich,

No, never seen it! That pic was taken in the Botanical Gardens in Sydney in sight of the Opera House, doesn't get much more Oz than that! I will say though, that 'DRUM' label is the one that supplies short run issues to the Woolworths and other supermarkets in Australia so I think that 'cover' would be rare. All of the ones I have (CD and LP) are mainstream EMI originals. :roll:
Bill Bowley

Next

Return to The Shadows