THE NEW ALBUM...GOT IT!!!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

THE NEW ALBUM...GOT IT!!!

Postby bor64 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Yes, the postmen made me very happy just 10 minutes ago...err before you got your dirty mind in gear..... ;)
The new album arrived !! :mrgreen:
Mind blowing I just skipped briefly thru the cd and the ep-cd....the jigsaw not started jet lol
Nice large box with both cd's and a plastic bag with the jigsaw.
Why Bol.com send it out yesterday...no idea...but jippy I got it!!! :mrgreen:
I thought next week Monday was the official release date.... 8-)

Rob :mrgreen:
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Re: THE NEW ALBUM...GOT IT!!!

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Glad you like it Rob. Is the jigsaw any good? ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby BobGreg » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Yes got mine too, album, ep and jigsaw arrived this morning- sounds an exceedingly accomplished album - very professionally produced article, especially considering the three locations where the individual recording of the various contributions were made - wonders of modern technology.

The enthusiasm found in the early studio days (all together) is truly captured in these recordings. On the Beach seems the one track that appears to not to entirely sound/mirror the earlier style of recording but they all are superb tracks - a definite must for everybody - not sure what to do with the jigsaw though considering my mature years!

Dave suggested earlier on another thread that "You could always threaten to make the grandkids do it , if they misbehave . . . . . in fact you could make them watch the DVD :lol:"

Unfortunately they aren't old enough to do this size of puzzle, nor are they old enough to appreciate the good music - CBBies is their limit at the moment - they are 4 and 5!
BobGreg

Postby Stratpicker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Come on - get stuck in to the Jigsaw.
Mind you, I once bought one. On the side it said "4 to 5 years". I thought - "I can't spend that much time on it"!!! :D
chers
Stratpicker
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:51 pm

:lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ScouserJoe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:28 am

Hi,

My copies of the various CDs and disc arrived from Leo's Den this morning, and I have listened to all of the recordings throughout for the first time.

Obviously a very polished performance from all with numerous variations from the original recordings as one might expect - some good, some I thought not so. Cliff's voice definitely sounds fragile (to be expected at nearly 70 years of age) - my wife made a point of coming into the room and making that comment herself.

Three other things sprung immediately to my attention. I didn't think Hank's guitar ' rang ' like it used to (Voice in The Wilderness being the classic example and probably due to the use of those Kinman's) and he also didn't seem as prominent in the mix as he used to be either. Finally, I got a little irritated at Cliff's persistence in singing through Hank's instrumental breaks - 'A Girl Like You' and ' I Love You' being two examples.

I thought it was a worthwhile addition to the collection, but overall I felt the recordings lacked the ' youthful excitement' of the originals - which I suppose is only to be expected.
ScouserJoe

Postby BobGreg » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:22 pm

Although I commented earlier and picked on one track - On the Beach - I have to agree with some of Ian's comments.

I too felt that Hank's sound was not as prominent in the mix as I expected it to be, based on the original recordings, nor was the tone as strident either, but then you won't necessarilly get that today with the different guitar, effects, amp and studio mixing combinations in use now - there isn't the Abbey Road factor!

Although I have all the earlier albums of Cliff and the Shadows I never bought any of Cliff's after they parted company so not sure of Cliff's more recent recording style and mix with his backing group of late. Still a good addition to the collection.
BobGreg

Postby roninnes » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:08 pm

Yes got mine this morning from Leo's Den.
Album is good and I am sure I will get used to the differences, notably the opening to Do You Wanna Dance, but yes "Oill give it Foive" as Janice used to say.
Bonus cd is also well done.
I think it fair to say it was not going to sound the same as the early recordings due to technological advancements, the maturing of the singer and musicians so pretty pleased overall.
Congrats to all concerned in producing what will probably be the "Final" music recorded by them as a unit.

Now I just have to wait for the DVD.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Keith Bateman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Mine arrived this morning also. Jigsaw completed this afternoon!

I was expecting to be disapppointed with these recordings and although, in my opinion, they don't capture that live performance feel of the early recordings I think they stand up well on their own. I would even venture to suggest that Hank's solo on Nine Times Out Of Ten is an improvement on the original. The one track I feel doesn't fit is Sea Cruise as The Shads are almost drowned out by the other instrumentation. Cliff's voice shows signs of age as is inevitable at 69 years old but his rendering of The Next Time is as good as the original, with maybe a little better phrasing. Always one of my favourite songs. On the whole they are well worthwhile and a fine effort by all concerned to celebrate the 50th.

I shall be playing this a lot over the coming days and will probably make a compilation cd of all the tracks (single, 45, ep, album) so that they're all in one place.

Roll on the 6th and the Cardiff concert.

Keith
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby chas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi All,
Since the changes with the site, I've lost track of a thread that mentioned something about people perhaps only buying the new album because 'Singing The Blues' is on there, and not bothering with the single - so leaving just the 'completists' to buy the single and ep. It's probably already been mentioned somewhere that both the single and ep have tracks that are not on the album (not forgetting that the album won't count towards the singles chart, and it would be so nice to see the guys riding high in the charts one more time!) .

Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Next

Return to The Shadows