THE NEW ALBUM...GOT IT!!!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: THE NEW ALBUM...GOT IT!!!

Postby drakula63 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:41 pm

I've just given it its first listen. And I can honestly, truthfully say that I thought it was...

BRILLIANT!!!!

Anyone who knows me will know that I am not easily pleased and that I am speaking as someone who is mainly into the Shadows 1970s output and hasn't really liked anything Cliff has done for at least 20 years. So, I was very uncertain about how much I'd enjoy this album and quite uncertain as to their wisdom in re-recording all the old tracks. I can now honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and, indeed, I'd go so far as to say that it's the most enjoyable Shadows album I have heard since Change of Address (1980) and the most enjoyable Cliff Richard album since Rock 'n' Roll Juvenile (1979). The Shads actually sound like the Shads in a way that they didn't for most of the 1980s and Cliff sings most of the songs as well, if not better, than I have heard him sing in decades. I was prepared to make allowances for the fact that he's now 68 years old, but, if anything, his age has given his voice a maturity that it didn't have in the 1960s, without making it sound weaker. Certainly his delivery is more expressive here and there than I had expected it to be. Hearing these songs presented like this, makes you really realise how brilliant these guys were (and are) as composers and performers. The only gripe is why, oh why, did they choose to release the weakest song on the album as the single?!!!! In short, I was not at all disappointed by this album and, indeed, enjoyed it far, far more than I had expected to. I will, therefore, give my unreserved Thumbs Up to everyone involved and say that I am really, really, really looking forward to seeing them live!!!! Nice one guys. Nice one.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Martin Page » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Yeah, I love it. Although the omission of Theme For A Dream isn't missed, I'm surprised that Fall In Love With You isn't on there. Hopefully they'll play it at the concerts; I see Dynamite was played the other night and that isn't on any of the various discs...

Martin.
Martin Page

Postby Steve Parish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm listening to it now for the first time... I can't believe how good it is! I wasn't expecting it to sound as awesome as this... I was going to listen to it in it's entirety then listen again to my fave tracks, however, I think the whole lot is gonna get played again (apart from Willie And The Hand Jive which I just had to put on repeat!!!)... and Time Drags By has just gone on again! Got the single too, really love Singing The Blues and A Voice In The Wilderness...
Cracking stuff!
Steve Parish

Postby Didier » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:49 am

Just received mine this morning, and starded listening to it. It's better than I expected, but of course it won't make me forget the "Me and my Shadows" album !
Just waiting now for the DVD, I always prefer live recordings.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby bgohara » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 am

i think that 'i'm the lonely one' is brilliant from the ep - superb guitar work - and I'm pretty sure i can hear a 12 string - just like hank played on the original.
love on the beach too, time drags by and the new version of move it - so many highlights! (and how can i forget nine times out of ten - what a solo!!)
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby JimTidmarsh » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am

My CD package was waiting for me in the post that had built up while I've been on holiday & it was the first thing I opened!!

It's brilliant - I can't fault it at all. Overall, there's a really deep sound and Cliff's voice is on tip-top form. I think Waffle's influence on the arrangements and the production really shines through.

By the way, I hate jigsaws - the grandkids will have an extra Christmas present!!
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby stratmantd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Been listening to it all last evening and have been very impressed overall.

The highlights for me have been the old rockers; Gee Whizz, Nine Times, Lonely One, etc. The only thing I'm not so sure about is Mark's moothie at the start of Time Drags By; it could have done with a bit more expression for my liking but sounded great later in the song.

Really looking forward to hearing it all live.
Last edited by stratmantd on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stratmantd

Postby Martin Page » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:18 pm

It's interesting to see that EMI have spelt Whiz incorrectly on the CD cover as Whizz in Gee Whiz It's You - and easy mistake to make. Even my French EP, bought in the early sixties makes the same error.

Regards (pedantically) Martin.
Martin Page

Postby David Martin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:41 am

Really good... some moments of Hank magic too! Every now and then, that old fire emerges to great effect... (I wonder if it's more difficult to do that if you're alone in a studio thousands of miles away from the rest of the gang?)

I enjoyed the whole thing, but what stood out for me was the sheer energy of the rhythm section... that man Welch plays rhythm like no other... steaming! And Mr Bennett's drums are so dynamic urging the whole thing forward ... the resultant combination is sheer "thrutch" - a little known technical term for musical energy... this album is off the scale on my thrutchometer...

But the biggest bouquet from me goes to Mark Griffiths... I loved the sound and, best of all, I loved his interpretations of the classic tunes. Hats off to a really nice guy... and a great musician.

A tough coordinating job for Warren, but, boy did he pull it off.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby SELEDA284 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Got mine this morning...opened up the windows wide, cranked up the volume, & let the neighbours have a good listen :o hee hee :lol: well, it was too good to keep for my ears only ;) for those other neighbours who had the misfortune to miss it due to doing mundane things like 'work/shopping/dentist/doctors' rest assured I will be playing it again tomorrow, & again on Sunday....... :D they dont realise how lucky they are round here!! :lol:
Safe to say it certainly gets the thumbs up from me..... :thumbup: & I know for sure that Ade would have loved it.......
SELEDA284

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows