SouthAfrica

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: SouthAfrica

Postby shadoogie1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:14 pm

I saw the Cape Town concert. It was held in the open at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, The show on the 9 March was a sell out with 5 000 fans in attendance. The demand for tickets was so great that they held another unsheduled concert on the Wednesday evening, before flying to J'burg for the final 2 shows. This meant they lost out on one of their rest days which they need as they all looked pretty tired

The set was identical to the O2 set even down to the jokes. They did not play 40 days or Shindig. The newspaper reviewer probably didn't know his Shindig from Dance on. They did do High Class Baby, Dynamite, Voice in the Wilderness etc.
The line up was also as per the O2 show.
They guys put on a spectacular show and the sound was as expected although a few of us thought the bass was a bit loud and sometimes distorted in the first half of the show. It was rectified later. I must say they looked pretty exhausted when shown in close up on the big screen. This was particularly noticable with Brian Bennett. Having said that it didn't detract from their performance. They put everything into it.
Everyone I've spoken to were blow away by their performance. You must also remember that this was the first time a lot of the audience had seen Cliff and the Shads perform live.
What a fantastic show. What more can I say. Well done lads
What a shame it's the end of an era, but what a way to go.
Regards
Bryan
shadoogie1

Postby waffles » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Last edited by waffles on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waffles

Postby David Martin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:26 am

waffles wrote:We did play 40 Days,
at least I did.
We opened the second half with it.

:lol:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Didier » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:51 am

waffles wrote:We did play 40 Days,
at least I did.

Do you mean that you were the only one on stage to play it ? ;)

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby strongbow » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Waffles,

What was dropped in order to fit 40 Days in? Was it C'mon Everybody?
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Postby shadoogie1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

ooooooooooooppps> Sorry they did play 40 days but not C'mon Everybody.
As a matter of interest 40 Days was very popular here with the troopies in the 80's during the SA border wars. It was always requested on the Forces Favourite radio shows.
Bryan
shadoogie1

Postby mags » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:42 pm

I am back from Jo'burg and was fortunate to be at the final concert for Cliff and the Shads. It was a great night - the audience were fantastic and gave them a great reception. The whole arena was on their feet to greet them when they came on stage. The Shadows got a particularly warm reaction and at the end of each Shadows number a large number of the audience were on their feet to show their appreciation. The beginning of the second half was different - they swopped C'mon Everybody for 40 Days - which I am told has some significance to the South African audiences. At the end of the show a small section of the crowd at the front were on their feet for the encore numbers. I was fortunate to be at the front so it was great to dance, clap and sing along for the final three numbers without the worry of being told to sit down. For the final number, The Young Ones, the whole audience seemed to be on their feet singing along. I am so pleased there was such a great reaction for the final show. What was more touching was at the very end - after the final goodbyes and bows to the audience - Cliff pulled Hank, Bruce and Brian together for a team hug - very touching to see them do this as I know they have all had such a great time on this tour. I believe a few tears may have been shed as well after the show as they all looked quite emotional.

I was fortunate to be at the first gig in Killarney – have followed them across the UK and Australia and was at the last night of the tour. I have had the most amazing six months following these guys and wish it could go on forever. As I am both a Cliff and a Shadows fan this tour has had particular significance and enjoyment for me. Although we have more Cliff concerts to look forward to it was sad for me in Jo'burg to realise it will be the last time in concert I will hear the Shads - they are truly amazing musicians.

I was fortunate to bump into Brian, Bruce, Warren, Griff and the crew at the airport as our flights left at similar times on Monday night. They all said they had had a fantastic six months.

We have been so privileged to be in their company for the last six months...... fingers crossed at some point in the future they may perform together again for a charity event or TV show.
mags

Previous

Return to The Shadows