Your Views Please - Authentic Backing Tracks???

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Your Views Please - Authentic Backing Tracks???

Postby MagicOurMorris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:45 am

Hello everyone, I would appreciate some help/advise if possible by way of hearing the views of members as to which they feel are the most realistic sounding "Shadows" backing tracks. I currently use UB Hank backing tracks - but find that on a number of tracks the tempo is too fast when compared to the Shadows actual recording - Kon-Tiki being a prime example.
Then there is the actual sound quality of the backing track which again can vary quite a lot to the actual sound of the Shadows track recording. I do appreciate that if you listen to various Shadows CDs there there can sometimes be differences in the sound and tempo of the same track from one CD album release to another, and I do know that even the Shads can play some numbers a little bit differently when comparing for eg "The Final Tour" CD to much ealier CD releases. I suppose the ideal would be to have the Final Tour CD minus the lead guitar input - but obviously thats not possible. So having said all that, what I'm really asking for is your views, which In your opinion, are the most authentic sounding backing tracks currently available in terms of sound and tempo.
Best Regards To All.
MagicOurMorris

Full Real Name: Keith Sayles

Re: Your Views Please - Authentic Backing Tracks???

Postby Didier » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:00 pm

If you are not completly satisfied with the UB Hank BTs, there are many other sources. I know some people who prefer the "That Sound" BTs from Maurizio Mazzini which are available from Leo's Den (3 CDs available).
Yo can also make BTs from Shadows' recordings with "solist extractor" softwares, but it doesn't work for all recordings.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby MagicOurMorris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Didier, many thanks for your response to my thread, your advise as always, is very welcome and very much appreciated. I'll have a look at Leo's Den as you suggest.
Many Thanks
Best Regards
Keith.
MagicOurMorris

Postby wstagner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:28 am

Another profit opportunity for The Shads would be to release several volumes of a backing CD for their final tour CD. Is cheap and EZ to produce. Just pull the appropriate fader down to shut off the desired track.

The Ventures did this with their 45th anniversary tour CD/DVD:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Play-Ventures-V ... gy_m_img_b

3 dif versions of same toon: -base, -leed, -rhythm

Ventures need the $ more than the shads tho :lol:
wstagner

Postby Squier Ken » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:54 pm

I have only a limited collection of BTs but I reckon Renato Vignocchi's "IO SUONO SHADOWS" series are among the best. Again, available from Leo's Den.

Ken
Squier Ken

Postby MagicOurMorris » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 am

Just wanted to say thanks to Walt & Ken for their response to my thread, the help and advice is much appreciated.
Best Regards
Keith.
MagicOurMorris

Postby John M » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:09 pm

I was surfing the other day looking for info on the Shadows "Bright Eyes" recording and I stumbled across this site.
The backing tracks are in mp3 format but could easily be changed (with something like Wavelab) to WAV files.
NOTE the reference to "Wonder Land" at the bottom of the list.

Some of the files do sound familiar so I dont know the total legality of their listings (i.e. copyrite clearance).
Anyways, here is the link.

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/bts/Shadows.htm
John M

Full Real Name: john miller

Postby Stranded Albatross » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:07 pm

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get good backing tracks for the Ventures tunes, so was pleased to see Wstagner's post with a link to the Japanese Amazon site. Unfortunately couldn't work out if it's possible or even worth it to buy from Japan. Any advice on buying from there would be welcome, as I cannot get up the English version.
Stranded Albatross

Postby Stratpicker » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:11 pm

John M wrote:
Some of the files do sound familiar so I dont know the total legality of their listings (i.e. copyrite clearance).
Anyways, here is the link.

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/bts/Shadows.htm

Yup - having ahd a quick knock through the listing - they're mostly UBH althought there are few (horrid!!) midi file BTs on there.
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Return to The Shadows