A Message for 'The Boys'...

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

A Message for 'The Boys'...

Postby drakula63 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:59 am

Well, as this is my 100th message (Doesn't time fly), I wanted to make it something special, rather than my usual inane ramblings. By the way, am I now qualified to be 'a piece of the furniture'? If so, can I choose which piece?

Anyway, all I really want to say is a VERY BIG THANK YOU (VERY MUCH!!)to Cliff and the Shadows for an incredible 50th anniversary reunion tour. It's over now and it seems like only five minutes since it started; but what a tour!!! Let's not forget that this was something that seemed impossible just a few years ago and not only did it happen, but it actually exeeded most expectations. I attended two concerts (and experienced a few others!) and I was blown away. The Shadows actually sounded like The Shadows again after a decade (the 80s) during which they began to sound progressively like someone else. Their playing was better than I've ever heard it, certainly live, and I never cease to be amazed. Cliff pulled off the remarkable feat of actually singing better at the concerts than he did on the recent Reunited album. How many of today's stars can hope to be able to say this (in the era of the studio auto-tuner and, frankly, quite a lot of very little real talent). Some fans have been a bit unkind and suggested that the tour would have been better without him (yes, I've even seen a few comments to that effect on this glorious forum!), but what we all have to remember is that it would never have happened without him. He's the UK's biggest selling recording artist for a reason - and it's not solely for his talents in the studio.

Were there any disappointments? Yes. Firstly I was disappointed (and surprised) that the single, Singing the Blues, didn't get higher in the charts. I gather it sold something like 7,000 copies!!! Can this really be true? Unbelievable. The only other disappointment was arriving at Sheffield Arena 30 minutes late (on Cliff's birthday!!!) and missing a substantial part of the first set. Still, I gather that this was partly due to an accident on the M1 and the collossal amount of traffic going towards the Arena. So, I won't complain too loudly about it. Other than that - perfecto!

All in all; an amazing few months for the boys (and for us, the fans), so may I just repeat myself and say to Cliff and the Shads ..... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

May I also make a wholly appropriate and wholly shameless plug and say that D.D. has very kindly invited me to write a live review for his Shads website, which I hope to have completed soon. I'm not the world's best writer, but hopefully not the worst either!, so I'll do my best to convey the sheer joy of the experience and put it into some kind of perspective!!!

Oh and one final thought. Cliff and the Shads have been going so long now that every year is a 50th anniversary of something. So, my feelings are, that we haven't seen the last of them...

I hope I'm right...

Bye4now.

C.D.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: A Message for 'The Boys'...

Postby d jones » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi Chris i totally agree with your comments on the the boy's, an absolutely fantastic tour! I too was at the Sheffield gig, but due to travelling the other way on the M1 i was there from the start the bit you missed was just as good as the rest of the concert. As for the chart position you mentioned, to make the top ten these days it relies on the dreaded download which is no good for any collector ( i've got an original download! yipee what good is that a load of 0's and 1's ) Having been a Shadows fan all my life i'am sure like many on this site we've all had the wee wee taken out of us,but i was then, am now and always will be proud to be a dedicated fan. So i say THANK YOU! THANK YOU !THANK YOU! for giving us all a lifetime of incredible MUSIC!!!

All the best to the boy's and if it really is the last time enjoy your retirement!
the music will live on!

Dave
d jones

Re: A Message for 'The Boys'...

Postby kittycph » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:27 pm

I agree with you.

Thank you for some great concerts.
kittycph

Return to The Shadows