zoom g 2

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

zoom g 2

Postby rapidsguitars » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:08 am

what is the cost of putting the eftp into the g2 , and how simple is it to use , how does it compare to orther units like the q2, q20, zoom rfx . MANY THANKS IAN. 8-)
rapidsguitars

Re: zoom g 2

Postby boritz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:23 am

G'day Ian,

I was just reading this G2 thread which may be of interest to you http://charliehall.proboards.com/index. ... 031&page=1

You can contact Charlie re G2 EFTP on that forum.

Regards,
Dave.
boritz

Full Real Name: Dave Powell

Postby RayL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 am

You can't load files of ready-made settings into a G2, you have to manually enter the data so Charlie sells a list of settings. No sure about the current price, but someone will know or you can get in touch direct with Charlie through his website

The G2 is easy to use because the echos and effects that you use most often can be grouped together and selected by a push on one or other of the foot switches. This is particularly good for stage use because you don't have to turn round between numbers and fiddle around with switches and dials. It saves time, and turning your back to the audience looks unprofessional.

Once you have an echo or effect that you like, you can copy it to another location. The copy can then be modified so, for example, you might have a multi-head echo with reverb (for playing in a pub) and without reverb (for playing in a big hall where extra reverb would be too much).

Since it can be battery-powered (4 x AA) you don't have to arrange a mains adaptor and mains supply at the front of stage, so if your band follows another band at a gig you can be ready to play quicker (and quicker to clear afterwards).

For the price, it offers a lot.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Didier » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 am

RayL wrote:You can't load files of ready-made settings into a G2, you have to manually enter the data so Charlie sells a list of settings. No sure about the current price, but someone will know or you can get in touch direct with Charlie through his website

Charlie Hall charges £15 for his list of Patches for the Zoom G2 (work the same for G2.1u).

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby RUSSET » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:04 am

Hi Ian,
I use a G2 & G2.1u for live stage work, & would not be without one. It's great for live work for all the reasons stated by our friends above. It's easy to programme in the echo parameters, to your own preference or from Charlie's parameter sheets. I use mine direct into our PA system, so removing the need for a heavy cumbersome guitar amp. As well as having great echo modules, which can be layered on top of each other to give the Shads-style multihead effects, it has an exellent Acoustic guitar simulation module, which I have tweaked to give me a great 'Bruce' sound for Rhythm duties. No, it's not an Echoplex or Meazzi, but it's no where near that price, & it does many other things that those units don't do for a live musician.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby tony parnham » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am

I've had a G2 for a few years now and its a great all round unit. EFTP as stated can be MANUAlly programmed into it and it sounds very good. However Zoom have just upgraded this model with a better spec and it has a Librarian via USB so you won't have to tediously go through programming it manually. I understand it is equipped with similar effect modules but the facia is bigger and has more patches with 20 Steve Vai simulations if you require overdrvie etc.
I will be getting one in April when they are scheduled to be shipped here.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g2nu/index.php
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby steve.t » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:21 am

HI.MUST AGREE WITH MOST OF WHATS BEEN SAID ALREADY.GREAT LITTLE UNIT FOR THE PRICE.I BOUGHT ONE FOR HOME USE REALLY, BUT USED IT STRAIGHT INTO THE P.A. FOR A COUPLE OF PUB GIGS & WAS WELL PLEASED.I PLAY RHYTHM MAINLY SO JUST NEEDED TO TWEEK A BIT OF CHORUS/REVERB IN & GOT A GREAT SOUND, & YES THERE IS A COUPLE OF GREAT ACCOUSTIC PATCHES IN THERE TOO. :o STEVE.
steve.t

Full Real Name: stephen taylor

Postby Okvals » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:07 am

How do the patches compare on the G2 to the Magic Stomp and wow and flutter ? or control over the patches, and how much does Charlie charge for those too ?
Okvals
Okvals

Postby tony parnham » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:55 am

I have both units and just my opinion but the Magicstomp effects are superior to the G2. The 'wow and flutter' simulation is evident in the MS but not the Zoom. The MS's only downside is there is no EQ facility and it sounds bright compared with the Alesis units. The G2 has considerable EQ. Charlie charges the following.
1) G2.....£15. ( BTW the G7.1ut which is the G2's big brother sounds better and is equipped with a 12AX7 valve to give it a tube sound, the quality of the effects sound better than the G2. BUT as a throw-in the Zoom 2000 and 2200 rackmounts sound much better than the G2 but still no 'wow or flutter' effect really.) All just my own opinion of course.
2) MS.....£25
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Return to The Shadows