I WANT YOU ALL TO LISTEN AND COMMENT ON THIS RE: THAT SOUND

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: I WANT YOU ALL TO LISTEN AND COMMENT ON THIS RE: THAT SOUND

Postby Didier » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:20 am

dagon1 wrote:With all due respect to my fellow Baby-Boomers, I'd like to remind you that our days of representing ourselves as the connoisseurs of "that TONE" and "that SOUND" are diminishing each year.

It's true, but most of the guitar sound is below 3KHz...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby dave robinson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:38 am

"I’m not knocking the sound I hear but I just want to see if others have noticed that it may be in fact a mimed studio recording".

Spike[/quote]

I spotted it straight away Spike, I did say in my response 'if' that is a camcorder , it's a great sound' - or words to that effect. Having checked their other videos it's quite clear, as no background noise can be heard on the example we are discussing. However, like Derek says, we were asked to comment on the sound, not the performance or whether it was live etc. It's just a good sound and reminiscent of 'what it is'. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Spike » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Dave

I understand where Derek is coming from but I just wanted people to know that its not a live sound they're hearing.
As for the sound its pretty good but who knows what EQ was used to produce it.

If people want to talk about sounds then remember my version of Fort Knox at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC1RF82YNTU
I think you and many others gave it a lot of credit at the time so I thought it might be a good yardstick to use here.

I used no compression, very little EQ and just a tad of reverb as the LC tunes have a tads of reverb.

Spike
Spike

Full Real Name: Spiro Hatzimichael

Postby David Martin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Dance with Shadows wrote:Thanks Justin,

I do remember the point being made by David Martin but I do not understand how to do it.

I know how to do a pinch harmonic but that leaves the string free to vibrate. Your point is that one needs to almost cut off all the vibration. Wouldn't this amount to shortening the note?

From memory, David pointed to a YouTube performance of a guy playing a guitar through an amp with high gain. Can anyone point to a video of the technique you have in mind with a low-gain amp. There is no point in looking at the video that is at the beginning of this thread. I don't think the sound and the playing are in sync and above all, I can't see what the lead guitarist is doing with his thumb.

By the way I think the band sounds really good.

regards

Michael

How to do it... is explained in the How To Get That Sound section...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Previous

Return to The Shadows